Canopy Question

jacob.morgan78

I'm getting some led fixtures and don't want to hang them from the ceiling. I was considering building a type of canopy to go on top of my aquarium that I could put my new fixtures in. Unless there's a better idea somebody has for me... One of my many questions for now is: does the canopy sit on top of the aquarium? I feel like this is a silly question but I feel like I would be putting undo pressure on the glass or something! Also, is there a good link someone could share about design ideas and factors to consider when building a canopy?

Thanks!

I dont have any designs, But the canopy does rest on top of the tank, They have on my last two tanks... There ok as long as you dont build them super heavy...

-Keith

this is how we made our canopy for our 125 and the lights are held up by L brackets to the top of the canopy and we made the canopy out of 1x12s so yes its heavyish but our tank has never once complained or budged

Tapatalk is telling me someone responded but its not showing up... In tapatalk it says kdawg responded.... Weird... Also says there's 3 replies!! Where us it!?!?

this is kdawg and yes i did respond to your thread and there was also someone else who responded as well and the reason for three replies is becuase you just responded so now it should say 4 responses

Weird, I still don't see your original response! Sucks cause I have a 125 too and thats about all I can see in the preview... Can you repost or pm me or something? Sorry!!!

here you go hopefully it works this time
this is how we made our canopy for our 125 and the lights are held up by L brackets to the top of the canopy and we made the canopy out of 1x12s so yes its heavyish but our tank has never once complained or budged

Must be something about that link...same as before... I'll check it tomorrow on a "real" computer and see if that helps... Thanks anyway!!! :)

all better now! very weird...

anyways... I really like that setup! I'll definitely use some ideas from that for sure! I like the way you attached the pieces that actually sit on top of the tank. I want it a little more open on top though... thanks for the pictures, I really appreciate it!

anybody else?

Kdawg- I noticed the 45 degree angles on your side panels. That's consistent with every other hood design I have seen where the front panel along with half the top and sides lift up. I am assuming the 45 is needed to avoid interference somewhere when the hood is lifted. Problem is, I can't see where the interference would be if that cut was a vertical 90, even though my intuition tells me something will hang up, and even after drawing out a full scale cross section and using a compass to check for the interference.
I can cut the 45s, but the diagonal line is out of place on my mission style hood.
My plan tonight is to build a 90 mock up out of scrap and test it before I start cutting solid oak.
So if you--or anyone--can tell me why the 45 cut- rather than a 90 is required, It would save me enough time to do a water change. My gut says the 45 is required, but my puny brain can't see the why of it.

Thanks-

Crazylawyer me n the wife kick ourselves in the butt every day for not doing a 90 so I say just do it you'll be happy u did

Kdawg where did those shocks come from? They look like maybe a car hatch??
How have they held up against salt creep?

they came off a Audi a4 that I found at a pick n pull junkyard n yes they'Ve held up better than the piano hinge we originally had on the hood anyways any othe questions let me know

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

I'm in the process of building a hood for my 40 Breeder. Here is what I have so far. I used 90 degree cuts to separate the front from the back, but cut them at 45 degree angles to hide the cut.

It opens fine

I like that! How do you plan to have it sit on the tank? Do you think it would be a bad idea to keep the back open?

Thanks for sharing!

I found the interference point after building my mock-up, but its only in the 1 x1 interior rails which allow the canopy to rest upon and overhang the tank trim. Would not be an issue in Kdog's original design. I shortened the side rail on the front half and removed the problem. But looking at my prototype, I noticed that there are far too many wee bits of wood, any one of which, if not accurately installed, would bugger the works.

So I'm back to the drawing board, using front corner posts which hold the front to the sides to support the canopy on and over the trim. Simpler, no interference problems. I think Ill be using Kaxt's bevels, great idea.

My last canopy-a six footer- was designed to flip up the front, tilt up the top, open at the sides, and come apart in three pieces so I could remove it by myself. Took me two full legal pads of sketches to get it right the first time, then I took it apart and rebuilt it.

I attached 1x2s to the inside very similar to what Kdawg did. I closed off the back to keep jumpers in the tank. I cut a few holes in each back corner to run power cords through and to provide a little ventilation. I also like the back closed off because I don't like to see the light on the wall and the ceiling. The solid back keeps the light on the tank. But if you're not worried about fish jumping, or light escaping then an open back is fine.

Back