can't believe it!

gmlee

I just purchased a salfert and hanna alkalinity test kits. I figured I would start off using my salfert. Before I ran out of my old hanna fluid I was at around 6.8 dkh. Now before I take a fit and make an *** of myself I want to ask. Using my new salfert kit the water has to change from blue/green to an orange/red . Well after I finish adding the drops my water does not change from a light blue .
I've got nothing to measure. How do u read this?

How much have you added to the titration test? Are you sure it was 6.8 dkh and not 6.8 meq/l ? that might explain the other test not working.

I think with the salifert you can just keep adding to it, until it does change colour, then add the results. maybe. Check the instructions :)

How much have I added? Yes it was 6.8 dkh with my last few hanna tests. Now I tested with my new salfert kit and I used all of my drops with no color change.

can't believe it!

Are you using 4ml of tank water? And they also give you standard check solution, have you tested that it should read 6.7dkh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Of course I added the KH ind fluid! And yes 4 ml of tank water.
Give u a standard check solution?????? Nope. No idea what your talking about.

35dee172005f71578e5f1c8ecab473f5.jpg
this is what mine has its about a year old

So why is my color not changing? Would this mean my alk is that low or that high off the chart. That's what I'm originally asking

Let's hope it's a bad test kit and that your not actually above 15 dkh, I find it odd that you don't have the test solution does the rest of the stuff look like mine?

can't believe it!

And if it was a conformed to be a good test kit that would mean your higher then 15.7dkh and you'd probably be frying your corals if you have them, have you tested anything else like your SG

This is why I keep a cheap API kit for backup. In case I get wacky results, I can get a second opinion so I can sleep more soundly.

Like I said I also ordered a hanna refill bottle. Before I tell u what that reading was let me tell u what I did. Since I was getting nothing to read or color change on my salfert test kit I. ............
Added baking soda and tested, baking soda and tested, baking soda and tested. Color change still didn't happen. Should I say more ?? Well after I did my hanna test it's now off the charts at over 16 dkh. I hear u saying dumb *** now. My alkalinity has been low for awhile and now this. Yes my corals continue to suffer. Haven't added any corals for sometime and won't until I get this right.

If you were running out of drops that would have meant you were off the carts to begin with the more you have left in the syringe the lower the dkh good luck and I'd also look into testing your ca/mg at this point because there gonna be out of Wack now to

Back