Can't decide on how much LR to use

Adamant

I'm setting up my first tank which is a 360L tank and I can't figure out how much LR to use as everyone seems to have a different idea!

I'm going to have a base of sand and I figure I can pitch some live sand in there to help get things going and maybe 15-20Kg of LR may be enough? Main reason for lowering the amount of LR is cost as LR is costing about £12 per Kg at my LFS so if I was to get 36Kg (1Kg/10L) it would set me back £432 whereas 15Kg is just £180... much nicer!

My thinking is that I can cycle with the tank like this first and just monitor all the levels? See how things go and then, if needed, I could always add a little more LR in future.

If I really need the extra LR then I'll get the extra, just rather not spend as much! :)

It's simple. Use as much as you need for the aquascape you want. That will almost certainly be enough to meet the bio filter needs of your tank.

^^^What he said^^^

To save a good chunk of $$$ consider using mainly dry rock. All you really need is a piece or two of live rock to seed the rest. (you don't actually need any LR at all, but that's another debate)

Also - you should put the rock in first, then add sand. That will prevent any tunnelers from causing a rockslide in the future.

I'm setting up my first tank which is a 360L tank and I can't figure out how much LR to use as everyone seems to have a different idea!

I'm going to have a base of sand and I figure I can pitch some live sand in there to help get things going and maybe 15-20Kg of LR may be enough? Main reason for lowering the amount of LR is cost as LR is costing about £12 per Kg at my LFS so if I was to get 36Kg (1Kg/10L) it would set me back £432 whereas 15Kg is just £180... much nicer!

My thinking is that I can cycle with the tank like this first and just monitor all the levels? See how things go and then, if needed, I could always add a little more LR in future.

If I really need the extra LR then I'll get the extra, just rather not spend as much! :)

A very rough estimate is 10 1.5 lb of live rock per gallon. However, like everyone has said, thats a generic saying. Really depends on how much room you have for aqua scaping.

I don't know what it is in Kg/L but generally you do need at LEAST 1 lb per gallon to have an adequate biofilter. This is a little vague, as it does depend on the density of rock, the amount of substrate, if you have an bioflitering capacity in a sump, etc. Like the guys said above, unless you have a very minimilistic aquascape, putting in enough to make it look 'reefy' is usually enough.

I typically stick to the berlin method of reefkeeping.

I call it my "modified berlin" because I also have a biopellet reactor.

I have a 360gal display. (that Is fallow atm, going through some changes)
16427671906_d6d7006344_b.jpg

and a 90gal anemone tank
15711541173_5d1c4c002b_c.jpg

Between my sump, those two tanks, and a 150gal rubbermaid I have roughly 1000lbs of live rock. Having a lot of rock gives you the ability to pick and choose what you put in your display. The rest goes in your sump or separate storage tank. The amount of rock in my display is based on aesthetics not filtration capacity.

I'm not quite there with it, tore the meniscus in my left knee in half literally 20 minutes after adding livestock so it's still a huge wip. Eventually I'll post more details on the system when i'm happy with it.

Man sry to hear that wish I was closer to help you out gl with the healing process I had a metal pin put in my knee when I was younger def no fun and can't wait for the update

I always put as much rock as I can fit that doesn't look stupid. I pack it in like crazy. On the other hand, it's inportant to make sure water can flow around it as well. Don't want to create dead spots

Back