Can't keep Magnesium stable with Kalkwasser

Mcgeezer

Reef gardener
Need your help guys....

I run Kalkwasser in my ATO - Ca (440) and Dkh (10.1 - 10.2) are always consistent. 70g tank with 20g sump/Weekly 5g water changes with Reef Crystals.

However, my Mg reading always stays at 1185 even when dosing +weekly water changes. I’ll presume it’s one of 2 things:

1. precipitation
2. The coralline algae is drinking it up

My tank is mature at 7 yrs old and currently doesn’t have a heavy coral load, only some gorgonians, several sarcophytons, and a photosynthetic sponge.

Can anyone give me some tips on how to keep the Mg up consistently other than dosing? Or is this just something I have to deal with when running Kalkwasser?

What are you dosing for magnesium and how much? That level is not that bad; 1275 ppm or so is the canonical ocean average. Coralline and other calcifying organisms will consume some magnesium, and Kalk doesn't provide any, so some supplementation might be needed.

I’m dosing with BRS Magnesium using their calculator. I really just want it to stay in the 1250+ range for my own sanity vs. daily dosing

I'd try dosing and measuring after 10 minutes or so. Targeting 50 ppm for a first dose should give some margin for error. After that, 100 ppm or so is fine. How much are you dosing per shot, in ppm and ml?

I'd try dosing and measuring after 10 minutes or so. Targeting 50 ppm for a first dose should give some margin for error. After that, 100 ppm or so is fine. How much are you dosing per shot, in ppm and ml?

I try to do no more than 100ppm per dose

Well I figured out the problem...my BRS mag mix went bad due to age. I got a new bag today and got the tank to range on the first dose. I’m a happy camper!

It shouldn't go bad, although it might have precipitated. Warming it should redissolve anything on the bottom, unless this is one of the "slushy" supplements.

Back