Capacitor for 1000w Radium, DIY ballast

silent_bob

Hi,

I have a Radium 1000w 20k bulb that I'm trying to fire up (in the US). So far I know to get the Tridonic Oglis 1000w 140 ballast for 60hz, 220-240v operation. And the ZRM 12 B001 ignitor. However, I am having a hard time with choosing the proper capacitor. I have read to get a capacitor that is 70uf at 60hz and capable of 300+ volts. Am I correct in assuming that something like this is sufficient?

http://www.tedss.com/5141A49H23

Alternatively this? http://www.amazon.com/Aerovox-Genteq-Replacement-Capacitor-97F5251/dp/B00VS215TE

Or is there something I'm missing? Does anyone have any recommendations? Thank you for your time!

Note: I tried to edit this thread, but was unable. Please forgive me. Here is the updated thread:

Hi,

I have a Radium 1000w 20k bulb that I'm trying to fire up (in the US). So far I know to get the Tridonic Oglis 1000w 140 ballast for 60hz, 220-240v operation. And the ZRM 12 B001 ignitor. However, I am having a hard time with choosing the proper capacitor. I have read to get a capacitor that is rated 70uf, 60hz and capable of 300+ volts. Several have recommended the U.S. brand Mallory, which is apparently now called Cornell Dubilier. Their website states that they have both 'motor start' and 'motor run' capacitors at 70uf, available in both round and oval cylinders. I imagine that for a light ballast that will be continuously running, I will want to go with the 'motor run' capacitor? Is that correct? What is the difference between the oval shape, and the round shaped one? They appear the same according to the specification sheet. Thank you for any information you can provide!!

You want a run capacitor. They come in oval or round. They are usually bare metal. There are literally hundreds of different brands of these capacitors. They are all the same. I own my own hvac company. A 70uf capacitor should be around $15. You can grab one at a local hvac supply house.

Back