Captive bread clownfish wont host BTA

Zpmada

Hi all

I am trying to teach my clownfish to host a Bubble tip anenome. It likes to host the top left corner of my 55 gallon tank near the surface for the past 3 years it ignored my BTA. I rearranged my rock work to bring the BTA to the corner. Should I try to raise it some more? Still nothing. The BTA is about 2 inches in diameter. Thanks

Last edited:
Another picture how far it is from the anenome. Maybe I should raise the anenome a little more?

Last edited:
The anemone might not be big enough for the clown to really care about it.

Maybe see if your LFS has a bigger one?

Because it is captive bred, it may never take to your anemone. The very worst thing you could do for either animal is attempt to force them together. If it happens, great. If not, that's just the way it will be. That it's been 3 years says to me that it just isn't in the cards.

if you have standard percula/occellaris clown, the BTA is a not a natural host to them in the wild. sometimes they will adapt in the aquarium, but none of the clowns i've ever kept have cared much about any of the wavy corals or anything like that. they usually find a spot by an overflow or a corner where they feel safe, and just chill out there.

if you like the BTA, keep it, but i wouldn't expect the clown to pick it as a host, and there's nothing you're going to be able to do to convince her to do so, if she doesn't want to.

Also, I can’t tell if that is an occelaris or percula, but neither of those species naturally pair with a bubble tip. They can and sometimes will use one in a reef tank but it isn’t an anemone that even the wild ones would have seen in the wild so they met not recognize it as a possibility. Even then some clowns, whether wild or tank bred, will never pair with a nem. It took my clowns about a year before they decided to pair with mine and that was unfortunately after they destroyed a goniopora with a baseball sized skeleton.

Back