Carbon addition to fight Dinos

Zoom

Premium Member
Carbon addition to fight Dinos.
I was thinking to start adding some sugar /vodka as a carbon addition to stop the Dinos from repopulating my tank you think it will work?

Some articles on dosing vodka/sugar

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/eb/index.php

Neilan M. Kuntz, David I. Kline, Stuart A. Sandin, Forest Rohwer. 2005. Pathologies and mortality rates caused by organic carbon and nutrient stressors in three Caribbean coral species. MEPS 294:173-80

Kline, D.I., Kuntz, N.M., Breitbart, M., Knowlton, N., and Rohwer, F. Role of elevated organic carbon levels and microbial activity in coral mortality. Marine Ecology Progress Series 314: 119-125, 2006

Ritchie KB, Smith GW (1995) Preferential carbon utilization by surface bacterial communities from water mass, normal, and white-band diseased Acropora cervicornis. Mol Mar Biol Biotech 4:345â€"œ354

MrPike i got all the articals .
I just like to know if it will work or not.
Any one with anything on this?

I have read the articles and have try it. Honestly I don't know if it works or not. My skimmer seems to skim a lot more but my corals are still the same. I only use 1/2 teaspoon every fourth day for the last few months. May be I am not doing it right. Perhaps someone with more experience can chime in???

I've not heard of folks treating dinos this way. It may work, but I'm not certain. They might even be able to consume added organics (unlike green algae), which might possibly make the problem worse.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9304616#post9304616 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
I've not heard of folks treating dinos this way. It may work, but I'm not certain. They might even be able to consume added organics (unlike green algae), which might possibly make the problem worse.
Randy,
I think with the added bacteria you never know .
I have two more things I need to try .
Sanjay had Dinos in his tank short time a go , he said that after installing a UV the Dinos die out in two weeks.
A reefer that still have Dinos he found a article that said the dinos do not tolerate temp at 82F and he will try to get his tank up from 77F to 82F to see if that will kill them.I run my tank also at the cooler side 76-77F so i will try first to up my temp to 82F and see what will be the outcome .
I'm very determent to find the way to kill them I will try any thing and see.
Thank you.

Raising the temperature to 82 will not kill them. It should slow down the excystment rate so hopefully they are not noticable. Most of the articles I have read still point to the nitrates. So I have some work to do. I did read that exposure to water that is 35 Celcius for 4 - 5 hours would kill the Dino cysts less time for vegetative but that is 95 degrees that is way to hot for a tank. Randy, can you take some water out of the tank, microwave the water to say 98 degrees and then let it cool down to tank temperature and put it back in the tank?

Randy, can you take some water out of the tank, microwave the water to say 98 degrees and then let it cool down to tank temperature and put it back in the tank?

98 deg C? You might precipitate calcium carbonate by doing that.

I know I was going back and forth celcius and fahrenheit. I mean 98 degrees fahrenheit. That is like bath water. Would precipitation of calcium carbonate still be a concern?

I saw no Dinos at all tonight so the 14K Hamilton bulbs doing something i also change the PC to 420/460 to have more bluer lighting , let see the outcome.

Last edited:
this is an old thread but i have the same question / problem

i had the dinos almost under control then i had to catch a anthias out of my tank which led to removing alot of rock and stirring up too much stuff and the dinos are back. i used carbon, gfo, shortened light period and reduced feeding with lots of basting and running a filter pad between chambers of my sump while blowing off algae then changing the pads. if this is a persistant problem woudl running a 12 - 14k bulb help? right now im running a three month old 10k 150w .

A reefer that still have Dinos he found a article that said the dinos do not tolerate temp at 82F

That is not ture at all. Many tanks run at this temp and some even higher and still have dino's. If that was the case all corals would be dead as that is what zooxanthellae are dino's.

I had to go with one more three day black out with my reef .
I did not had as many dinos this time but I think one more black out will help .
So far still using one Lt of GFO a month I still have the refuge running I change all my MH bulbs to 14K Hamilton I got the Calcium reactor out of the system now, I use Randy's two part with a slow doser and kalc for all my water top of so I got my PH constantly over 8.3+ even at night,I cut back on my fish population in half my feeding is also very minimum .
I Still got the dinos not is much but it was some before I turn the lights off for three days .
This morning I turn the actinic on for the first time in three days the tank looks good some minor bleaching of the corals but not to bad .
I hope they go away soon.... I been fighting dinos for over 19 months now. I never B***s to try any carbon addition.
This morning I did some testing .
P04 with low range colorimeter 0.03
N03 with saliferd test kit is about 3 or 5 on the low range .
Mag 1400.
Alk 11 DKH
Calcium 430.
Still have some small cyno spots and a little HA......That tell me i still have some DOC in the tank water, most be the 14 years old LR i have in the tank but is corals all over them so it is no way i can get new rock right now.

Back