carbon dosing with chemiclean

Ucantwin

I want to start carbon dosing to lower my no3. I always held off on doing it because I have some cyano and didn't want the cyano to take over. I started using chemiclean today to get rid of the cyano.

Am I able to start carbon dosing at the same time I started the chemiclean? My thoughts are I want to grow different bacteria as chemiclean dies off to hopefully not get cyano again from carbon dosing.

Thoughts on this?

yes you can carbon dose while using chemiclean..

carbon dosing does not cause cyano..
Some people that have dosed vodka have claimed that it has made their tank more likely to get cyano or that they have had cyano issues after using vodka and have never had them before but there is no proof that I've ever seen that an increase in carbon via dosing causes cyano..

There is no direct correlation that I have ever seen.. LOTS of rumors though... But thats what this hobby is all about ..spreading rumors ;)

Carbon dosing does increase the number of bacteria and cyano is a bacteria is why I figured it would grow my cyano. Thanks for the reply!

Carbon dosing does increase the number of bacteria and cyano is a bacteria is why I figured it would grow my cyano. Thanks for the reply!

Thats just an assumption you are making.. unless you have facts to back that up ;)

Cyano is there for a reason.. Its actually the reason we are all on this world..
Its a VERY beneficial bacteria..
I do not think an abundance of carbon is the cause of cyano though..

I would not Carbon dose during Chemiclean treatment due to the fact that the skimmer is turned off during that time. Although dosing small amounts probably wont hurt anything.

yes you can carbon dose while using chemiclean..

carbon dosing does not cause cyano..
Some people that have dosed vodka have claimed that it has made their tank more likely to get cyano or that they have had cyano issues after using vodka and have never had them before but there is no proof that I've ever seen that an increase in carbon via dosing causes cyano..

There is no direct correlation that I have ever seen.. LOTS of rumors though... But thats what this hobby is all about ..spreading rumors ;)

The only time I have ever had cyano in my tank was during a period where I experimented with carbon dosing using NOPOX. Never again. Tank has been beautiful and cyano-free after that battle.

Thanks robzilla, I didn’t even think about the skimmer not taking the bacteria out. Good call on that one!

The only time I have ever had cyano in my tank was during a period where I experimented with carbon dosing using NOPOX. Never again. Tank has been beautiful and cyano-free after that battle.

And I've had cyano in a tank that I never carbon dosed in along with thousands of others I'm sure.. :shrug:

Back