Carbon in the Reef

Patriot54

Can you run carbon in a reef tank and are there in fish that wont get HILLE if I do run it and does it affect coral?

Sorry, misread your original post a little.

Fish like Butterflies & Angels had reportedly been linked to developing HLLE from continual use of Carbon.

Also, Carbon (IMHO) strips out a lot of nutrients & trace elements in the water. Most of those being beneficial to Corals.

Will it directly affect corals? No.

use a good grage carbon i use about a cup and half in a 125 gal change it like every week ad half soak the carbon i warm ro water before using it gets all dust out and opens the pores in the carbon never had any trouble using carbon

Todd,

The initial work I've done indicates that it is carbon dust that can cause HLLE in some fish, not that it removes anything vital from the water for fish. In regards to carbon removing vital elements for corals, I don't have a firm opinion on that, but agree that it is probable.

My advice is to use a good grade of carbon (pelletized perhaps) rinse it very well before use, and only use it in tanks with protein skimmers (because skimmers are very effective at removing POC, including carbon dust).

Jay

Jay,

I don't rinse my carbon I just run the reactor effluent into a 100 micron sock, should I be concerned about smaller particles? I'm building up what will be a large fish and softy tank and I have always preferred to run carbon 24/7/365. I have not had issues in the past but there are also a lot of fish out there that I've never kept.

Rinsing carbon is always wise if for no other reason than to keep your impellers clean. Using a filter sock will help, but I'd still rinse before use.

I find that using carbon 24/7 is fine as long as you have a regular schedule for replacing it. Even a quality carbon will leach nutrients back in the water after its "full" so to speak. I change mine every two weeks and my water stays pristine. I also run a skimmer in the evening.

Ed,

Quick google search shows you're probably right. Looks like the dust ranges from 10um upwards. I've sort of always taken the lazy approach, but will rethink doing so.

Back