Carbon lenght and frequency

masonicman

I run carbon in a filter media bag in my fuge with flow running threw it. If you run like I do, I'm curious as to how often should carbon should be ran based on it removing trace minerals from water and how long before it should be removed/exhausted?

Last edited:
It is debatable as to what if any trace elements are removed by carbon. Either way normal water changes should replenish whatever elements that may be absorbed by the carbon. Anywhere between 2-4 weeks would be the frequency that I would change the carbon.

I've been told that anything past a week is greatly reduced and past 2 weeks is useless.

The reason being that the pores in the carbon are filled with bacteria and other junk by then rendering it ineffective.

I've been told that anything past a week is greatly reduced and past 2 weeks is useless.

The reason being that the pores in the carbon are filled with bacteria and other junk by then rendering it ineffective.

That is going to depend upon the water quality of the tank. One week seems too frequent to me, but in a dirtier tank a two week schedule would seem about right. Check your water color by putting a couple of gallons in a white bucket, if it has a yellow tint it's time to change your carbon.

That is going to depend upon the water quality of the tank. One week seems too frequent to me, but in a dirtier tank a two week schedule would seem about right. Check your water color by putting a couple of gallons in a white bucket, if it has a yellow tint it's time to change your carbon.

Like the the water in the bucket color thing. Thanks

Back