Cardinalfish in QT suddenly not eating?

Goldndoodle

I have 3 Orchestriped Cardinalfish that went through TTM, and are now in a quarantine tank for 3 - 4 rounds of PraziPro (4 days non-medicated w/ carbon filter, 4 days medicated with floss filter).

These 3 fish have been ravenous eaters since day 1, eating twice/day, including all through TTM and Round 1 of PraziPro. I just started Round 2 of PraziPro Saturday morning and suddenly they won't eat. They ate breakfast Saturday morning right before 2nd dose of PraziPro, have not eaten since.

Is this usual during PraziPro treatment?

Last edited:
Still not eating this evening ... tomorrow morning would be 4 days medicated for Round 2 of PraziPro.

I decided enough was enough - just changed the filter back to carbon & sponge, and did about a 50% water change on the QT.

Prazi is a known appetite suppressant. Fish can go a lot longer than you think without eating, I would not be to concerned. Possibly try different foods.

I manually top off the QT - just went down to top off this morning and noticed they're moving around more, besides not eating they were also acting kind of lethargic as well. Feeding time is in about an hour - I'll see if they eat this morning.

I have had some fishes not eat and become a bit lethargic when using prazi. Once the prazi is done then they get back to normal. Good luck

They've been through 2 rounds at this point (4 days off, 4 days on). Is 2 rounds enough? ... I was originally planning on 3 or 4 rounds.

I personally wouldn't do 1, if the fish has been through TT and is thus far healthy and eating.

After a week of stressing about about these Cardinalfish not eating, they finally started eating last night.

They have been through TTM (12 days) and have now been in QT (18 days) including 2 rounds of Prazi (it's been 30 days since purchase/delivery). How long do you usually leave fish in QT after TTM?

I typically go 4-5 weeks depending on work schedule. Usually this just getting them comfortable with feeding and use to tank life.

4-5 weeks is the answer. These fish should live for years and years. This is a very small wait.

Roger that.

They've been there for almost 3 weeks at this point, as long as they're now eating another 10 days shouldn't be a problem.

Back