carolinia?*i think* fragging

tanyashankles

I have fragged a species of acropora a couple of days ago, I purchased it under the name of acropora carolinian, but not sure if that was accurate. In any case after doing the fragging, the cultured babies are 'peeling' off their outer tissue to reveal white skeletal base. I am aware of rtn, and this looks different than what I have seen rtn do in the past. RTN seems to be a crawling, whitening (bleached look if you will) whereas this is more of a tissue loss or something. My question is, is this normal behavior for SPS? I am unfamiliar with SPS fragging and have done most propagation with soft coral. I understand that SPS is more delicate and temperamental, which is why I have shyed away from it in the past. The mother colony seems to be experiencing some of the same tissue loss, but not as severe. It is only the tips on the donor. My perameters are normal and stable, calcium and alk perfect, and all others seem to be doing fine. Just the recently fragged Acro since the cutting. Can you tell me if this is normal, a part of the healing process, perhaps? Or ARE they suffering from RTN? Thanks in advance! Tanya Shankles

Back