Carpet

TimeConsumer

So my new 20g long and stand I plan to purchase for my new residence will likely end up standing on carpet. Anyone see any issues with this?

The carpet will get wet during maintenance and if something happens, the carpet will get wet but other than it being level I can't think of any other problems

You are going to wish it wasn't under you tank. If you have the chance, replace it with tile.
Water inevitably gets on the floor around your tank, no matter how careful you are.

My stand and tank are on carpet. I just throw down an old towel in front of the tank before doing water changes and maintenance. Never had a problem thus far. (Knocks on wood). :bigeyes:

You are going to wish it wasn't under you tank. If you have the chance, replace it with tile.
Water inevitably gets on the floor around your tank, no matter how careful you are.

Rental property, no can do. I was more worried about it being level than it getting wet.

It is not if but when it will get wet. Then it will smell. Maybe you can build a small platform, water proof it then put your stand/tank on it.

Not level is not an issue other than cosmetic. The tank look wear with water level that clearly show the tank is not level. As long as the stand is flat, it is fine even if it slightly tilted. When it is warbled, that is when you will end up with a cracked tank.

If you're concerned about your security deposit you might throw down one of those rubber bottom mud room carpets where you intend to place your stand. If the carpet extends beyond the tank little incidents won't end in disaster. Floods are another thing entirely and carpet is more forgiving than wood as long as you react quickly.

Regarding levelness, I use cedar shims, a 4' level, a pry bar and a hammer. Partially fill, level and repeat until satisfied.

If you're concerned about your security deposit you might throw down one of those rubber bottom mud room carpets where you intend to place your stand. If the carpet extends beyond the tank little incidents won't end in disaster. Floods are another thing entirely and carpet is more forgiving than wood as long as you react quickly.

Regarding levelness, I use cedar shims, a 4' level, a pry bar and a hammer. Partially fill, level and repeat until satisfied.

I use an old rubber backed throw rug on water change day, and have 2 $10 leak detectors - one inside the stand near the sump, the other in back.

Eh, I'm really not that worried about the water. I had a couple of incidents with my 75g but nothing major, and all of those were situations I learned from and did not repeat. Yeah some splashes are inevitable. But really a flood is extremely unlikely from anything short of a full tank failure. The return section of the sump and the ATO reservoir are small enough that even a full drain clog won't result in catastrophy.

Even in the case of a full tank failure, carpet vs wood vs tile really is all out the window at that point.

Back