Catching a bully yellow tang

Pishie

I have a yellow tang that will just not leave anything alone I bought him small thinking I could just add bigger fish and he wouldn't attack them well I've never seen a fish grow so fast he's now pretty big and bullies everything killed a flame angle and a convict tang I want to relocate him but its hard to get with all my live rock in the tank and my other fish what's the best way to remove him?

Yea I was just looking at one $50 plus shipping is a little expensive tho I'm thinking spear gun maybe

A really small fishing pole and hook. Maybe even a remote control boat so you can do a little trolling.

:D. I've thought about that setup to catch this yellow tail blue damsel that thinks my 90 gal is all his. Miniature depth charges sounds like a good time too. Can drop them off the back of the remote control boat when the trolling fails.

The DIY traps look like they are for smaller fish idk just buy one but $ 50 plus shipping for a one time thing seems like a waste any renting any? lol

The way I catch my fish was by waiting for him to be far enough from the live rock , and turning off the light . It takes two and you need to move fast . Room need to be dark too . I used my strobe light to locate him . When the light goes off the fish kind off freeze cause he can't find his way back . This work for me a couple time.

Get a gallon size ziplock bag, poke some holes around the top and run some fishing line through the holes to make a cinch trap. Leave it in the tank for awhile. Whenever you feed your fish, put the food in the bag. When the yellow tang goes in to eat, yank the fishing line and cinch the bag shut.

I like Calfo's method of draining the tank. With an ok syphon and pump, a couple totes, it should take less than 20 min to do the whole thing.

The DIY pop bottle trick works for me every time. Spending $50 to catch a fish basically using the same method seems kind of extraneous considering how much we spend on this hobby already.

ahhhhhhhh, the yellow tang. so cute. and mean as a stick! Lost mine in last move, it was sad. NOT!............and they are not stupid either. evil little fish

What i've had luck with before is the following:

leave a large net in the tank for 4-5 days so the fish get used to it. leave some nori in the net for the tang to eat from

after a few days, scoop him right out when he goes for the nori

An alternative that has worked for me: get up early in the morning while the evil little thing is still sleeping and turn on the room lights; it will startle him. Then quick with the net while he still can't see very well. I have even caught butterflies this way!

The problem is he sleeps under a rock that is on top of 3 other rocks making a cave with 3 exits if I put a net at each one he just stays inside

DIY fish trip for the win. Caught my Sixline bully the other day. Works wonders

udenu5ev.jpg

mury6eby.jpg

Back