Catching a neon dottyback out of my 135g reef

small fly and fishing line. just remove the barb before hand, makes it easier to remove the fish. I've used this many times and works great.

I never had any luck with traps, and was too chicken to try to catch one with a line and hook. I have safely removed fish from
my tanks by pumping water out of the tank into my mixing tubs, until the level is low enough to net the offender. Just pump the water back in after you catch the offender.

Good Luck!

I've also had good luck by 'net training' the fish. Use a favorite food, such as frozen or live brine, place it in the back of a big net and allow the fish to eat from it for a couple of days. They will get used to the net, associate it with food, and then after a few days, when the unsuspecting critter swims in, you can net him out.

I've also used the drain/fill method for bigger critters.... it' hard to use that one with lots of live rock and a skittish dottyback!

Good luck,

-Rob

My fridmani is too timid to get him out with a trap. He will only take food out of the water column (occasionally he'll try to pick something off a rock if it's within a sort of "five second" rule, but he doesn't seem too good at that). Anything just lying around in a trap he would never bother with, I don't think.

I've resigned myself to breaking down the tank when I need to remove him. Hopefully never again...

Brad

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9875145#post9875145 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Msoar16
small fly and fishing line. just remove the barb before hand, makes it easier to remove the fish. I've used this many times and works great.

Absolutely the best method. I have caught so many hard to catch fish this way.

<a

I've resigned myself to breaking down the tank when I need to remove him. Hopefully never again...

Brad [/B]

Just put a chunk of mysis on the hook, bend back the barb (small, small, fly fishing hook) and if he eats well, you'll catch him. It is worth a try before going through the misery of tearing down a dank

I've caught a few fish by putting some food in an empty 2-liter bottle, cutting off the very top of the bottle and inverting it, and putting the bottle at the bottom of the tank. The fish swim in to get the food, but can rarely swim out.

However, I had to dismantle the reef to catch that darn chromis. If no one PM's me back by tomorrow morning about him, he's yours. However, if you're getting rid of the dottyback due to aggression, I'm not sure the chromis will be much better...

Back