Caught my tang at 3 am last night....what about chromis?

Toledofishguy

I caught my tang last night at 3 am. I read a good Reefkeeping article by Bob Fenner. What I did was let the tank go dark for about 2 hours, then WHAM, turned all the lights in the room on and on in the tank. Removed two rocks and a frogspawn and the tang swam basically right into the net. He was pretty dazed. He is in the sump now while I wait another few hours for the QT to be ready to begin hypo.

It is hypo with increased water temp, correct?

I still have 6 chromis in the tank. The tang was only showing signs of ick for about a day before I got him out. Should I take the chromis out? They are in their normal school, mooching for food right now. I also have a twin spot goby, but I could never get him out. I have a 20 gallon high eclipse set up for the tang. I have a pop bottle for a trap if need be for the chromis.

I would leave the chromis. Unless they show signs of ick. Ihad a hippo that had ick. called around and most places said to leave it in the tank and try giving it garlic and let it fight off the infection on its own. It Died. nothing in the tank ever showed signs. I had a yellow tang a green chromis a mandarin with it and they were fine

FWIW
Sean

As I understand it, you need to remove every, single fish from the display in order for the parasites to die off. If even one fish is left, the ich has a host and their life cycle can't be stopped. I would do some research on ich before you proceed, just to verify my opinion. Oh, and good luck catching Chromis. Those buggers are FAST.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12210742#post12210742 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EllieSuz
As I understand it, you need to remove every, single fish from the display in order for the parasites to die off. If even one fish is left, the ich has a host and their life cycle can't be stopped. I would do some research on ich before you proceed, just to verify my opinion. Oh, and good luck catching Chromis. Those buggers are FAST.

correctomundo!
Leaving the other fish in there is no a guarantee that you'll get ich again and taking them out does not guarantee you'll never have it again. IMO it would increase your chances of success, but a lot depends on your quarantine practices from here on out.

I would continue removing ALL fish and leave them out of the tank for 40 days before reintroducing anything into the tank. I did this, following Steven Pro's advice and so far, no ick.

You need to remove all fish. If you do not the fish you have in QT will get the ich again. Ich is a parasite and it has to live on a a fish. While you may not see the ich, it is there. All fish out for 6 weeks and you will be fine.

I am in the process of trying to get the chromis out. I have a pop bottle trap in now. They just stare at it. Hopefully, I'll get a bite soon.

The tang is in QT with hypo. Checking him over, I see no sign of ich currently. I'm wondering if I overreacted. The fish had about 10 raised white bumps when I decided it was time to get it out. He was eating and swimming as usual.

Oh well, worst case scenario the tang fattens up in QT and this does give a chance to reintroduce the clown he bullied a few months back.

Try using a small bait hook for the chromis and put a piece of mysis shrimp on the hook. It worked for me.

Just as a note you need to treat all fish you take out for ich not just the ones that seem to have it.

John

No luck getting the chromis today. Tang still showing no signs in QT. Like I said, I may have over reacted. I'm not try to be lazy, but these little suckers are a bi*** to catch.

I'll probably try the small hook technique later in the week if the bottle trap doesnt prove effective.

Back