causes for a shrimps death

When in doubt I just blame my 6 line. every occurance brings me one step closer to getting rid of him.

do a copper test.If you bought your rock from someones tank they may have used copper and it's leached out enough to start doing harm.
Or maybe the swing in your ph is the culprit putting stress on your shrimp.
Are your shrimp dieing whole or looks like something ripped it apart?

Whole. nothing in my tank is new skip told me to check and recheck salinity but my harliquin shrimp are fine. I don't get what's wrong

Any outside contaminents like windex? Scented candles? Potpourri? Etc?? Usually is the culprit when I see shrimps croak for no reason. I would change out your carbon to be safe.

I had a shrimp go crazy one day and literally flew from one side of the tank to the other. then he hid for about 24 hours and the next day he was no longer with us. still no known cause for death. personally I think its just a kind of phenominon with some shrimp in general.

shrimp #2 was killed in action fighting with the rutheless 6 line.

The other shrimp is now dead as well its only the cleaners harlys still good munching away on a starfish no other inverts fish or corals are all fine

Aww I'm sorry :( My pep shrimp died after being with me just over a month. All water params were good, was a little piggy even the night before.... not sure what happened. :(

Just got a skunk cleaner this weekend so I'm hoping this little guy stays with me for a LONG time.

The only shrimp I have ever been able to keep for a long period of time is the fire shrimp. Everything else just kinda died off.

You know whats funny is every time I see a 'something died' ?whats the cause? thread... I think to myself.... Does anyone know how long that animals life span is in the wild, do they know how old it was when they got it and does anyone ever think to themselves that animals including saltwater animals can be born with defects and diseases that shorten there life span just like we humans can. How do we know that clown fish wasn't born with a missing heart valve or that shrimp didn't have some kinda unknown shrimp disease that made it sick when it came in contact with a particular inhabitant. We get live stock from all over everywhere, maybe things from the pacific ocean don't mix with things from the Red Sea or whatever... just things to think about. And then we say but it did fine in my friends tank.... but did you and your friend have the exact same setup with the same animals etc... there are so many variables in this hobby it's hard to ever really know unless it's completely obvious like the power went out.

so I come home today and find the female harlequin shrimp dead and the sad thing is she was pregnant so sad and the poor male was sitting next to her in there cave....

I just don't get whats happening all of a sudden

I'm curious.... I don't see certain info about your setup, so please forgive me if I've overlooked it.
How old is the tank?
What are the water parameters, and what devices/ test kits are you using? By this, I mean what is: ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, specific gravity, etc. and what brands of kits are you using (API, Elos, Salifert, etc.).
My experiences indicate heavy metal toxicity, poor water quality, and induced sources are the main culprits. All of which have been brought up.
If you could include actual numbers, rather than "all parameters are ok", it would help a ton! :)
Have you had any hand lotions, or colognes on by chance that may have entered the aquarium on your hands..? ANYTHING wierd that could have gotten in the tank via aerosols?
Also, I didn't notice a protein skimmer listed for your tank. How are you accomplishing nutrient export? Water changes, refugium, etc??? Could the nitrates/ nitrite be slowly climbing, and have become toxic to the shrimps?
Please let me/ us know.
Would love to try and help prevent any further losses.

I found my cleaner shrimp dead at the bottom of my tank today. Im blaming it on BP.

My skimmer is listed. My test all come back good I'm using API for my tests. Phos 0.0 to 0.25. Nitrate 0 to 5.0 amonia 0 to 0.25 nitrite 0 to 0.25 ph 8.2 dkh is 9.6 no lotions or cleaning chems ever in or around tank

Jeez, I totally overlooked that at the bottom of your page...Octopus skimmer. Sorry! :)
Have you added fresh carbon to the system?

The nitrite and ammonia readings not being 0ppm do concern me personally.
How long has the tank been up, and how long had the shrimps been in it again?

The tests look like there are zero to me every time I have my water tested by a store its 0 all shrimps are at least 4 or 5 months I had them

As saltyncopa mentioned, the dead cyano could very well be the problem...as the cells die and rupture they release neurotoxins which in high enough concentration can affect the nervous system of inverts. Try doing a 50% water change. Re-calibrate you refractometer and double check salinity as well, I'd test for copper as well as you never know.

I will have to buy a copper test. its so frustrating to spend so much time and money. I can't get my tank to run smooth I will start making water to do a big water change tomorrow

Good luck, hopefully everything turns out. I would double check your refractometer against another one just in case. I also second the copper test. I had an issue with shrimp due to a faulty refractometer (or dropped by my wife) but were not pointing fingers. The swing in salinity caused the shrimp to go south.

How much phos-ban did you run in the reactor when you first set it up?
Same goes for the carbon. If you've never run these before in your tank, they need to be gradually introduced to your system, especially the phos-ban.

My $0.02 worth.

Back