Ceramic beads for nano - cause high nitrates

reefguy24

I have a jbj 24ga nano and it came stock with a bag of those ceramic beads.

In trying to help the tank cycle, I went to my local LFS and bought a bag from an already cycled tank.

The tank is now cycled and I'm trying to lower nitrates.

I have live rock, live sand and added bio spira 2x when cycling.

Can the ceramic beads cause higher nitrates? I was reading a few posts on this and another forum and am now confused.

thank you

Yes, the ceramic beads can cause nitrates to stay elevated. Remove them slowly over the course of a week or two.

Yes, the ceramic beads can cause nitrates to stay elevated. Remove them slowly over the course of a week or two.

They're in a closed, netted bag.....are you suggesting I open it up and take out 1/4 this week, and a 1/4 next and so on and so forth?

And the ceramic beads have served their purpose.....to cycle the tank? So there's no real need for an aquarium to have them?

thanks

Yes, remove 1/4 to 1/3 at a time, they have served their purpose. At this point they are only a maintenance issue.

Ah cool. I'm just starting out with a nano....will be moving to a bigger place in 6 months so if I like the hobby enough, might try to breed some fish and learn more about that. Moreso for fun than making money.

Back