Chaeto won't grow

luvzz2play

Hello, I've been having trouble getting my chaeto to grow. I've tried 3 different light bulbs and wonder what everyone else uses.

I've got a 29g sump my chaeto is in and it is getting smaller and smaller and smaller.

This could be as simple as you dont have enough phosphates to feed it. I'd start off by testing your water.

how much is deemed "enough" phosphates to grow it? I have phosphates both low at one point and high at another and it has never grown only receded.

I don't think your light is the issue...mine is is the back, behind some rocks and it grows at least 2 new leaves PER DAY! could you have something in there that is eating it?

Another important thing is to keep the chaeto ball up near the surface of the water. If it sinks a few inches down it is likely not receiving enough light. Prop it up on some live rock or an egg crate platform to keep it at the surface.

not sure the CF that i have now spectrum may be the 6500 and i'll check when i get home. no the chaeto is not at the top, it is on the bottom

To grow chaeto, you need to ensure that

1. it is subjected to fast flow (typically 10X or more per hour);

2. you provide adequate lighting with the right spectrum (i.e. 6500K and bright- I use 2 X 36W 6500K bulbs over my chaeto);

3. as mentioned already, your tank water contains nutrients (in the form of nitrates and phosphates) to feed the algae. Whenever I stop feeding my fish, the growth of my chaeto slows down;

4. your tank water contains adequate amount of iron and iodine (refer to RHF's articles on the role of chelated iron and iodine in growing macro algae).

I hope this helps.

Lol ever since I started using my gfo reactor, the chaeto died, but the green hair algae persists. The wrong algae died!!

Another important thing is to keep the chaeto ball up near the surface of the water. If it sinks a few inches down it is likely not receiving enough light. Prop it up on some live rock or an egg crate platform to keep it at the surface.

X2 on keeping it near the surface. If you have it in the fuge just tumbling deep and no light penetration it wont grow. Prop it up at the surface. I use a 6500k from a hydroponics store with a evo 750 for flow propped up by rock and it grows like crazy. My phospates test at 0.03 and nitrates undetectable and it still grows.

thanks all... i will try to get it up to the top of the water as that really seems to be the only thing that it might be....

Not to take over the thread just a quick question. Do you think putting it in to an overflow would be ok it would tumble and be contained for easy cleaning

Back