Chaeto?

CSUPUEBLOTIM

Alright since I finally switched SW suppliers and ran some purgien my green algae glass has significantly decreased. However, I was wondering if I were to run some chaeto in the back chambers would that eliminate any of my green algae problems? I am just wanting to make the tank as maintenance free as possible and have it stay looking cleaner longer. Many said that a skimmer would be a waste of my money so I am trying to find other cheaper solutions. I run one sponge in the back, carbon and seachem and thats it. Thanks

If you put chaeto in the back chamber you'll definately need to light it which would require modifications. You can put chaeto in the display if you have room, it won't attach to anything and can easily be trimmed. I have a clump in mine, and it adds a lot of biodiversity because it provides a breeding ground for pods and in some cases small shrimp (mine has mysis, but you have to get chaeto that has them obviously).

It would definately help with algae issues, it feeds off of the same stuff as nuisance algae, so once it gets established it competes with it for food.

alright...ya I do have a hidden spot in the display I could put some. I might have to pick some up and give it a try. I do have a light I could use for the back chambers, but I am not 100% sure I want to mess with that at the moment. LOL

You can always put a submersible LED light in the rear chamber - that is what I did for chaeto in the middle chamber of my in-laws 12G DX.

Steven

when I had my nano I just put some in the main tank tucked over in the corner it doesnt look all that bad and helped with the algae

I run it in the back chamber of all my tanks. I do not use a separate light and the stuff grows fine. I rest it on a peice of egg crate so it sits about 4 inches from the top of the water.

i just got a handfull and put in my main tank because i have no room in the back. It looks ok on the corner plus it helps with algae and breeds pods.( my scooter blenny loves them)

IMG_1389.jpg

I had mine in the display for a while until I move it into a HOB refugium, and I'm still pulling little clumps out from the display area. Its kind of a pain

Hi,

I know some people cut the opening between chamber 1 and chamber 2 bigger. I'm just wondering do I "have" to cut the opening? Or I could just put the cheato in chamber 2 without any cutting? This is for the BioCube 14g.

Thanks.

You should be fine to cram some in chamber 1 or 2. Its not necessary to to remove the section. Many just do it to allow for more room.

put it in the display...it can be an underwater version of a tumble weed...j/k

you can just put it in the corner, or behind some rocks...i'm planning on putting some rocks around mine to help hide it...

I'm taking the bioballs out of the second chamber so that chamber is empty anyway. Will the second chamber have enough water for cheato to be fully submerged? Since the second chamber is designed as a trickle filtration so maybe it doesn't get enough water. I don't know.

Back