Chaetomorpha Lighting Question

vester_72

I am starting a refuge for my father - he has a 60 gallon hex and has no room for a sump/fuge under the tank.

I bought a 12" x 4" hang on fuge for him, and an 18w JBJ 11" pc light (I think the bulb is 50/50).

Will this be enough light for Chaeto to grow under if I place it very close to the lights in the fuge?

Thanks,

Jason

No worries i grow mine in an ecosystem 40 with a 13 watt light on it. It grows like crazy in my ecosystem 40 so with more light it should do even better.

Thanks - the reason I ask is mine did not grow under a 36w pc light - but when I added the 110w pc it took off.

Thanks for the info.

Jason

Here is a pic of Chaetomorpha from Randy Holmes-Farley's tank.

Phosphorus-Figure-2-web.jpg

Regarding lighting, does chaetomorpha require 24/7 lighting as well or is 14 hours/day sufficient?

30w NO flourescent for 13hrs a day! I toss a 5 gallon bucket half fyull of the stuff every 2 months!

Good macro!

Can this stuff get too much light and die?

50 gallon fuge (48" x 15" x 15").
Double strip NO Flo. 48" light strip. (2x 40 watt Plant Gro bulbs) hanging just a couple of inches above the top.
Water gets pumped to fuge from sump and gravity fed back to sump.
Rio 600 inside fuge for added circulation in fuge.

The tops of the chaetomorpha turned dark greenish/black.
I turned them over and the bottom sides are light green (look healthier).

Lighting: 6 am - midnight.

So, am I cooking them?

ive heard people with different experiences on this algae. some swear bt incandescent light. others say PC.
im still confused and i guess ill go with calerpa.

Peace

SamsonNY said:
Can this stuff get too much light and die?

50 gallon fuge (48" x 15" x 15").
Double strip NO Flo. 48" light strip. (2x 40 watt Plant Gro bulbs) hanging just a couple of inches above the top.
Water gets pumped to fuge from sump and gravity fed back to sump.
Rio 600 inside fuge for added circulation in fuge.

The tops of the chaetomorpha turned dark greenish/black.
I turned them over and the bottom sides are light green (look healthier).

Lighting: 6 am - midnight.

So, am I cooking them?

Having some growing well under 400watt MH's I don't think it's light causing that. I do see something similar in the 20g fuge for my 55 that is lit by 2x55watt PC's. It seems to be more a result of air exposure when the water gets a little low. I can transfer some to my culture systems and in a few days to a week or so it all turns a nice bright green :)

Back