chalice growing faster then skeleton

sirrealism

I have had this chalice for about 6months and its doing really well but the tissue is growing faster then the skeleton. I had not been testing this tank because growth has been great with everything but when I did I found my alk was very low "4" I would think that calcium would have more to do with the skeleton but I guess its a combination. Should I frag what is hanging over the skeleton?
2013-11-06080157_zps69e41c1f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

the chalice is about 4"across and hangs about 1" off skeleton. I did move it to a place to support the tissue. It had lost a small piece like it melted but a very small piece. Also if any one knows the name of this one would be a great help

Although I don't really understand what it is doing, I would not frag the flesh. It could damage the colony and the frag. It would make sense that you had a calcium issue but I really couldn't tell you what's going on here.

Thanks Ali at least I am not the only one confused LOL. Like I said its very healthy. I am dosing now and am keeping levels higher on both calc and alk

I would think that calcium would have more to do with the skeleton but I guess its a combination.

You need both.
You should be good once you get the parameters inline. Slowly, no more than 1 dkh per day.

Corals secrete their skeleton through the calicoblastic layer; this is the outer layer of skin or ectoderm located at the underside of all polyps. This layer contains specialized cells which continuously secrete calcium (Ca2+) and bicarbonate ions (HCO3-) to the external environment. Eventually, this leads to the deposition of a matrix of calcium carbonate (CaCO3 or aragonite).

Great article on coral growth
http://www.coralscience.org/main/articles/biochemistry-2/how-reefs-grow

I suggest putting the coral on a flat surface to reduce stress, chalice needs a very stable alkalinity make sure you increase it slowly
And they do consume more alkalinity than calcium

Recently witnessed a chalice coral in my friends LFS, that outgrew it's skeleton. The flesh literally started to slide off the skeleton, in one area, over a few weeks time. (It looked like when you turn a container of caramel sideways and it starts oozing out).

I'm really not sure what happened to the "extra" flesh, but it's gone now, and the chalice is still doing fine.

I attached an image below that I snapped with my phone. You can see where the flesh was hanging off.

If it helps any, all parameters were within normal reef specs (they are on top of all their systems), so I wouldn't say for sure that it's your parameters that caused it. Possible, just IMO, that some type of parasite or infection caused the coral to shed off the effected area? Again just a guess.

IMG_1102_zpse67e353c.jpg

Thanks everyone. I got the parameters right several weeks ago and have stayed up. I did move it to a flat rock but it is on an incline which it seems very happy there.
daimy068 that is the very same thing that was happening. I did loose about 1/2" piece that slide right off. But now that its supported things seem better.
Does anyone know the name of this chalice?

Chalice

Chalice

If the eyes had any orange I would say Gorilla Nipples, I have chalices on sandbed where the edges are soft with no skeleton under it but I
d say it is only 1/8th to 1/4 inch all the way around evenly.

Raise your alk slowly and like Jrizo said lay it on rock or sandbed so it has support and doesn't cause any undue stress.

Best of luck and nice chalice.

Not sure if the "extra" flesh is still there for you, but something I wanted to try with my friends chalice was:

Once the flesh separated from the colony, I wanted to take and glue it to an old acro (one that had died, etc. we all have these laying around). Unfortunately, I was not around when the flesh separated and it disappeared into the system somewhere.

I was curious if the chalice flesh would take to another structure/skeleton and grow. It would be interesting to see a chalice/acro hybrid ;)

Interesting idea Daimyo68, may try that with a jack o lantern lepto, that would look sweet.

It would be cool for sure. Way back when I had seen someone grow their Cyphastrea onto a cross, I've been curious about it with a chalice. This was the perfect opportunity.

I was going to try the skeleton of 2:
Stylophora - I've always kept my stylo's right in the direct stream of flow, and their skeleton grows extremely thick and smooth. This would be the best/easiest imo, for the chalice flesh to cover.
Acropora Tortuosa - Thinner branches obviously, but if chalice eyes were to form on the branching tips, it could be an amazing look

The issue with the skeletons is that they will develop algae rather quickly in a reef system, which would most likely keep the chalice flesh from taking hold. An ULNS/Zeo system would be the best environment to try this in.

I wonder if I would have to have an eye melt off with the piece to get it to take a new skeleton? Does seem that most of the flesh over growing the skeleton does not have as many eyes. Daimyo68 thats a really cool idea and if I have anymore that becomes ready to fall I might just try that. I mean why not? Also I do believe it is some form of Mycedium sp. I looked at a lot of pics and did not find my color but then again this is under LEDS

Back