Change on Lighting....

HouseDJSTL

Premium Member
Well, it looks like the time is coming that I need to change my MH Bulbs. But I was thinking about switching to a 6 bulb 54W T5 system. What has been everyones experience w/ T5? Where are some good places to get the stuff to?

Thanks!

-Jeremy

I know a couple of people that switched from MH to t5 and love it. you dont seem to get that shimmer though.. but you dont have the heat issue either.

I was thinking about going with a 6 bulb 54W Finnex system. (TL-T4854) Anyone had any experience w/ Finnex??

I don't think the Finnex has individual reflectors for the bulbs....that makes it a waste of money. What you want is a Tek fixture or do it yourself T5. It is the reflectors that make T5 work.

I agree with sirreal, buying a T5 fixture without individual reflectors are a waste of money. I'm about to replace my Nova Extreme with a T5 retro. I just didnââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t do enough research before I bought. The Reef Stop has great pricing on Sunlight Supply T5 fixtures, but keep in mind that those prices are without bulbs.

My reefgeek TS retro kit will be here tomorrow... switching from PC's so it should be a nice upgrade.
I'll let you know how it goes later this week once the new lights are installed.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6942565#post6942565 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sirreal63
Excellent...remember to acclimate the tank to the new lighting slowly.

Do you have to acclimate the lighting if your switching from MH???

I would, just to be safe. The lights are not stronger by watts, but by reflective value they are. It won't hurt to do the screen wire method for a few days.

i would be careful with t5's......... they are much brighter than MH's.

if you see a finnex fixture you like, i can help you turn it into a tek system by retro fitting it for pretty cheap. pm me if ur interested.

I still have a 36" fixture and 4 Tek reflectors if you're interested (although it will leave the ends of the tank dim). 125.00 for all.

Thanks for the help trottman, but I found a Tek light that'll do just fine.

Sorry Mayoboy, 36" is too small....

Thanks!!

-Jeremy

you can make a tek out of a finnex for a cheaper price and a little work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ur loss =(

Update: My 4x54W T5 kit is up and working like a charm. A huge improvement over the PC's. Everyone, including the wife, loves the extra light these guys pump out.

FWIW, I didn't go with the screen method, however I reduced the light peroid a good bit and will slowly increase it over the next couple of months. So far, all corals are loving the extra light. Even the mushrooms I had growing high in the tank, go figure.

At 5 days consider me very impressed with the T5's. We shall see what the future holds.

Back