Changing tanks advice

jcoll

my aquarium got a leak i am changing it tomorrow my question is will ti be ok to re use my sand it has been in there for less then a year and i clean it a lot! the sand bed is about 2 inches deep so not supper deep

I wouldn't say a live sand bed is cheep. Depends I guess what size tank. I would clean it good with or water and reuse and seed it with a cup of live sand or a 1 new bag of new live sand.

Jmo

It is possible u would get a mini cycle so u r aware but that is possible with new sand also just keep checking water daily and be ready to do large water changes if needed. This can happen anytime u swap tanks.

Also remove as much water as possible before moving around any of the bottom rock that touches the sandbed. It will satire up a lot of nutrients. This is a good time to rinse the rock in a 5 gallon bucket with RO water. U will be surprised a lot of stuff will come off the rock.

Good luck

its a 125 g tank so it be 4 bags of new sand so im probably just going to rinse it then
thanks guys!

It is possible u would get a mini cycle so u r aware but that is possible with new sand also just keep checking water daily and be ready to do large water changes if needed. This can happen anytime u swap tanks.

Also remove as much water as possible before moving around any of the bottom rock that touches the sandbed. It will satire up a lot of nutrients. This is a good time to rinse the rock in a 5 gallon bucket with RO water. U will be surprised a lot of stuff will come off the rock.

Good luck

Wont this kill most anything living on the rock?

No it shouldnt If you do it right. siphon out some of the water from the tank and a bucket. remove top layers of rock put in the bucket with the siphon water. then safe in more water out into other buckets and be removing live fish. After you get all the fish out and the Coral keep removing water into you get to the San bed. With all the fish and coral safe And all rock Covered in water. Now siphon out the sand. the rocks that were on the sand bed need to be rinsed to remove the sand. so all the water stay covering the rocks so it should be fine.

This is a good time to rinse the rock in a 5 gallon bucket with RO water.

I get rinsing the sand with water... But you said rinse the rock with RO water.

I believe this will make your live rocks not so alive anymore. (Maybe you just made a mistake in instructions?) Especially since I have encrusted SPS and LPS corals on my rocks.

I don't remember. Saying to water. If I did my mistake rinse the rock with salt water from the tank. Disguar water after

U north Tampa?

yea i live like 2 streets from woja (roger) in northdale

soo far i emptied the tank im waching the sand atm and have everything in holding tanks with circulation pumps and heaters

next= re do my pvc under my tank and put sand back in tank with some water for it to clear... hopefully by tomorrow night the water will be clear and i can put everything back in

Was going to offer a hand if u needed it but sounds like u got it all done

thanks roger! my gf mom and brother had to help me against their will because i was taking too long by myself lol
the plumbing is gona be interesting part lol wish me luck..

question?
the containes i have my livestock in are all at different temperatures would putting them in to the display shock them or stress them if i doit all at ance? or am i going to have to put em in ziplocks to get used to temp?

also i bleached some rock for like 3 days and now i am rinsing it profusely in warm water in the tub and then i am going to rinse it in rodi water.... is that enough for their not to leach any bleach?

Back