Changing tanks

clam44

Hello, I have a 45 gallon pentagon low budget set up with a canister filter, reef central light and hob protein skimmer and it is leaking. Considering ordering the red sea e max 170 and was wondering how much of a cycle I may see if I use my current water and live rock for the transfer

Attachments

• 20230304_100929.jpg
    20230304_100929.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20230304_100914.jpg
    20230304_100914.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
You shouldn’t experience much of a cycle. You may get some nuisance algae blooms, but using as much old water as possible and the current live rock, it shouldn’t be much more than a water change effect. The only part that would need to be “re-established” would be the sand bed, if you have one, I would encourage new sand

Thanks for the quick reply, I was planning on new sand. I was also thinking it wouldnt cause too much of a cycle also but never did this before so wasnt sure. May order tank today. Hopefully my tank holds out until I can get the new one. I have flex tape on there now. Not really doing the trick lol

Lol what I would do in the mean time is drain it as much as possible to relieve pressure while still allowing the filtration and powerheads to operate normally

Back