Cheap eBay bulbs?

I have tried them in the past and i will tell you they are not worth it. A couple burned out in less than 3 months and 1 the color shifted so bad in 3 months i had to change it out

If talking about the plusrite (whatever) bulbs, the guy I bought some coral had them & I wasn't impressed.

Couldn't hurt to try a couple or keep them for emergency backups. People may say your coral will die & blah blah blah but I'm sure you wouldn't keep using them if you notice any adverse effects.
The SPS was growing well enough in the tank using them, I just didn't like the coloring of the bulbs & I'm guessing there will be a larger variance between bulbs.

I've been using Plusrites (3x175, 2x250) for years. Perform fine, and at the price you can change them every 6 months.

I bought a few. Some worked OK and some wouldn't even stay on more than 5 minutes. It was worth the try, but I wouldn't waste any more money on them... OH, that's right, I switched to all leds. But seriously, don't waste your money.

I wish the guys who are saying the Chinese leds and pumps could read this. They think I buy all the cheap stuff. Some of it is OK and some of it is junk. Sometimes you can ask about the product and sometimes you just have to take the chance.

Save your money and buy better quality bulbs that cost more up front.

Tried em and didnt like em.im all about saving money but the cheapest halide bulb I buy is a Phoenix 14k great bulbs for 47 bucks.. The evc bulbs are aupposed to be really good as well and not to expensive.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I used 20K Plusrite 250W and they were great. The 150W HQI Plusrites, however, were too white even at 20K. I got a 150W Phoenix 14K and it's very blue.

--c

They are good for growing macro. I would rather use PC bulbs over us rite mh for my sps.

I have tried them by the way.

Good for softie and LPS tank.

Ive used Plusrite and they were fine. but I did change them every 6 months. I have 250 mh. My son bought a $10 de bulb that wasnt plusrite and it was crap. Now I use Radiums and Phoenix. But if money was to tight around bulb changing time I wouldnt have any problem buying plusrite again. I got mine from 1000bulbs.com

I have been using the Plusrite 20k SE 250w x 3 over my 100gal for over 3 years, with good growth and good color, at $13 each I change them every 6 months and still save money.

I'm going to pick up a couple pr bulbs and if they work...great! If not then I am going to ship them to all of you that endorsed them in a cod package!? :) kidding about the cod of course.

I'm going to pick up a couple pr bulbs and if they work...great! If not then I am going to ship them to all of you that endorsed them in a cod package!? :) kidding about the cod of course.

Just make sure to send a water sample too so we can see if its the bulbs for sure..:thumbsup:

I put my 5 new Plusrites in Friday. I installed an RO/DI unit yesterday after using my well water through a 10" sediment and a 10" carbon filter for almost 15 years. I'll try some simple SPS and see if these cheapo bulbs can handle more than LPS.

I used the 250W SE PlusRite 16 and 20k bulbs for years and loved them. Awesome color and pop. I had phenomenal growth of everything, SPS included. I went LED or I'd still be using them.

--Colin

I also tried the pulserite 20k. It works good for the money. The color was not as good as say a radium, but you can by 5or 6 bulbs for the cost of 1. give it a try, they are cheap, shipping cost half as much as the bulb itself.

I used the pulserite 250w 20k on my old 56 with great results. The SPS I kept grew well, especially Red Planet. I changed them once a year and had a 50/50 and SA VHO bulb as supplementation. I went to LED for heating reasons, but would recommend you trying them. What's $20 in this hobby?

Back