Cheaper / generic version of Vortech MP 10????

Haven't ever seen any pump similar to the MP. Should be able to find some old mp10's that are pre-quiet drive to use.

AI and Reef Octopus have some slick low profile powerheads but the wiring is in tank with them, and they aren't exactly cheaper. I think the Reef Octopus starts at $200.

Fwiw, the Ecotechs are wonderful pumps. There's a reason they've got such a long standing fan base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a circulation pump with the power cord on the outside of the tank that is cheaper than a Vortech MP 10?

Not yet !

If I was to buy a Vortech MP 10 here in australia, i'd pay at a minimum of $355 AU.

To put that in context, I could buy several swimming pool pumps for under $150.

Vortech are a rip off (IMO)

Not yet !

If I was to buy a Vortech MP 10 here in australia, i'd pay at a minimum of $355 AU.

To put that in context, I could buy several swimming pool pumps for under $150.

Vortech are a rip off (IMO)

They are great pumps, I can't argue that. However, I also feel that they are WAY overpriced (as is everything Ecotech). Once their patent expires I think you will see the market flood with similar products at half the price. Until then, you either have to go with Ecotech, or have the cord in the tank.

They are good of pumps but I've never been really happy with them. Not as silent as some would say (even the QD) and lining them up after moving them is a pain. Don't do it right and expect to go through wet sides/dry sides which aren't cheap.

Switched out to Tunze pumps which I couldn't be happier with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've been stunned to read several people complaining about the magnets rusting on them.
Not sure that exact model, but that brand.

Handful of magnets over hundreds of thousands(possibly millions) of units sold. I would say thats a fairly decent and acceptable failure rate.

Probably a lot more than a handful from probably a lot less units than you're suggesting. Its not rocket science. If your charging so much for a pump, get the quality to match.

Actually I just did a google search, just the initial production line was 15k. Of which had a 90% failure rate.

To date ecotech marine has produced more then 25 million vortech pumps(15 years in production). Which I would argue that most are probably still in operation. Heck every once in a while you see the original mp40 for sale in the classified section, and it still works!

Show me any other propeller pump that has that kind of non failure rate. Or better yet, show me any other company that will replace said broken wet side most times for free regardless of the age, and regardless of whether they are still under warranty or not.

That alone speaks volumes to their customer service, something very lacking in this hobby.

There is a reason mp's are the gold standard in propeller pumps in this industry. Unfortunately being the gold standard, regards a much higher price point. No one complains about the price of an abyzz pump, sicce pump, royal exclusive pumps, or any other pumps with a ridiculous price point. Simply because they work, with very low failure rate, same as an MP.

No one says you have to buy MP pumps, but if you want the gold standard in this hobby, you pay for the gold standard. Just like anything else in this world, quality = $$.

EDIT:
Best part about ecotech, american born company making products right here in america. You can't say that about too many companies this day and age.

Show me any other propeller pump that has that kind of non failure rate. Or better yet, show me any other company that will replace said broken wet side most times for free regardless of the age, and regardless of whether they are still under warranty or not.

Ok. I didn't know they basically had a forever warranty.

Not a forever warranty, but they stand behind their products and I would assume they hate to have negative press such as magnets rusting. So to save face with their customers they often replace these wet sides for free.

least from the few posts I have seen about the magnets rusting, the OP's usually have the wet sides replaced for free.

Heck I had a wet side fail 2 years out of warranty(plastic that holds the magnet in had the little tabs break off), called ecotech, they sent me a new one overnight for free.

I'm not totally disagreeing with anyone here, they are ridiculously priced, but so are a lot of things in this hobby. The warranty, and CS in my eyes are worth the few extra $$.

The new AI Nero is similar in size to the MP40 and it's $300 to the mp at $350

The similarly sized Reef Octopus is $280.

So you're paying a pretty small premium to get the electronics out of the tank, which considering we're mostly in this for the enjoyment of what's in the tank, I'm gonna spend the extra $50-70 to get that ugly cord out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if we are talking wires in the tank :) I switch from MPs to the gyre a couple years ago. The flow the gyre makes is un matched. I love them. I have run 2 on my tank for 2 years. had 1 issue a year ago and coralvue just sent me another motor without even asking a question.

They are great pumps, I can't argue that. However, I also feel that they are WAY overpriced (as is everything Ecotech). Once their patent expires I think you will see the market flood with similar products at half the price. Until then, you either have to go with Ecotech, or have the cord in the tank.

Maybe. Separate dry and wet sides introduces a lot of additional challenges. I'd frankly not expect Chinese clones even once the patent expires; plus companies like Jebao haven't been been particularly respectful of existing patents in other areas, so if they could do it I would think they would have already.

Chinese stuff aside, vortech seems no more expensive than Tunze, as example. You want overpriced, check out hydro wizard.

The new AI Nero is similar in size to the MP40 a.....

If I can find a good B.F. deal on this AI Nero, I think I am going to get one. The design/app control looks really nice and so far I have been very pleased with the AI Prime HD.

As of right now, I can't seem to find any place selling it for less than $300.

Back