check this article out!!

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals can be good or bad, but certainly good in consciousness raising. I don't agree with some of their actions which appear to be totally against using animals for medical testing, but hopefully their actions will keep us being as judicious and humane as possible.

I would like to see the look on someone's face when the sea lion slapped the cuffs on them. It would be really funny if it was one of the PETA members that was trying to sabotage a navy boat. And for those of you that don't believe they do I was one of the people on an aircraft carrier that had to use fire hoses to push them away from our ships. Of course I carried the shotgun and was not allowed to participate even though I wanted to.

BTW SS nice to see you still on the board how is everything at vandy going? Where are you at now?

Yeah, I love animals as much as the next person but most of those PETA people are just looney. What is the difference between training sea lions and dolphins to do that and training a police dog?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9230097#post9230097 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rcmike
Yeah, I love animals as much as the next person but most of those PETA people are just looney. What is the difference between training sea lions and dolphins to do that and training a police dog?

I'm sure they don't care for that either. That put's an animals life in danger.

Probably not. I am surprised they don't protest us walking down the street. We might step on an ant or something. :rolleyes:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9230478#post9230478 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rcmike
Probably not. I am surprised they don't protest us walking down the street. We might step on an ant or something. :rolleyes:

Actually they do protest us. They believe that fish have feelings, communicate with their families, and are subjected to terrible torture in an aquarium in the form of horrible noise.

Here is a link it is a real hoot:Peta is nuts

The first part of the article is correct about cyanide used in the collection of fish, that is terrible. But listen to this quote from the article:

"Fish are more than mere decorations or tools for stress relief. They are living, feeling beings capable of experiencing stress of their own. They are born to dwell in the majestic seas and they suffer miserably when forced to spend their lives enclosed in glass aquariums, robbed of their natural habitat and denied the space to roam. They must swim and reswim the same barren cubic inches, often in isolation. The largest tank in the world cannot come close to the vast oceans and lakes that are the natural homes of these animals.

Fish have individual personalities and, like humans, communicate with each other, form bonds, and grieve when their companions die. One South African newspaper even reported a touching story about Big Red, a large Oranda goldfish, who would carry Blackie, a severely deformed Moor goldfish who had difficulty swimming, to the surface of their tank at feeding times so they both could eat.

Fish communicate emotional states such as courtship, alarm, or submission through a range of low-frequency sounds. Researchers at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution report that these sounds are audible to humans only with special instruments. The pumps and filters necessary to keep fish alive in many home aquariums can interfere with this communication."

Good thing the Tunze I am getting are quite as I want to make sure the clowns can talk. That is too funny I hope that person doesn't live in a house with wood as a tree was living too and they are always barking at each other.

That makes me think when I was watching one of the Surreal Life episodes. Yea, I watch some reality t.v. Tracy Bingam (sp?) was putting Vanilla Ice down for cooking hamburgers. Saying how it was a cows baby or whatever. She was sayin' this to him while wearing a fur coat... :lol:

Steve

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9232279#post9232279 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wooglin
"Fish are more than mere decorations or tools for stress relief. They are living, feeling beings capable of experiencing stress of their own. They are born to dwell in the majestic seas and they suffer miserably when forced to spend their lives enclosed in glass aquariums, robbed of their natural habitat and denied the space to roam. They must swim and reswim the same barren cubic inches, often in isolation. The largest tank in the world cannot come close to the vast oceans and lakes that are the natural homes of these animals.

Fish have individual personalities and, like humans, communicate with each other, form bonds, and grieve when their companions die. One South African newspaper even reported a touching story about Big Red, a large Oranda goldfish, who would carry Blackie, a severely deformed Moor goldfish who had difficulty swimming, to the surface of their tank at feeding times so they both could eat.

Fish communicate emotional states such as courtship, alarm, or submission through a range of low-frequency sounds. Researchers at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution report that these sounds are audible to humans only with special instruments. The pumps and filters necessary to keep fish alive in many home aquariums can interfere with this communication."

I "somewhat" agree with that......... dont you guys?
I mean the first part about "horrible tank life" is not always true for those that work at providing the best environment possible, but unfortunately most people do not put the kind of effort that those of us on this board do. The rest i have to agree with. They are living beings who are capable of feeling... i have no doubt. The things i have seen prove most of the above statement. I know i have used the "we need to take that one home... who knows what will happen to it" line with my wife when i want to buy a fish or something.... it works too...lol

Like birds..... most people think of the phrase "bird brain" but let me tell you that is far, far from reality. Psittacines are smarter than some people i know, their brains are emotionally based, rather than reasoning based. I have a pair of birds that thus far have been able to escape their cage no matter what i have done...
PETA claims that flourecent lighting is bad because of the way birds see... but that is unproven to my knowledge. If you have ever seen a large bird neglected (meaning, not interacted with only fed) it is one of the saddest things you'll ever see. Birds require a "flock" without it they literally go insane.

Like most good things in this world there is always someone that goes to the extreme, PETA in this case.

With that said.... I fish and eat fish, I eat bird too!.... i am a carnivore not a vegetarian.

The real irony of the article is they are talking about Clownfish, which as most reef aquarist know spend their entire life in an area about 12 x 12 x12.

I for sure dont think fish have feelings, family bonds, homes, property etc. If I thought that I could not eat meat, fish, etc.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9233367#post9233367 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wooglin

I for sure dont think fish have feelings, family bonds, homes, property etc. If I thought that I could not eat meat, fish, etc.

from what ive read thought fish do have fealings? I was told that they didnt when i was a kid when i would go fishing with my dad untill i got into the hobby and did some reading. they do have homes and property which would be there anemones and other fish claim certain areas and caves as there property. as far as family goes id think they do since some fish pair up oand others school so to me that would be a family to them. but this is just my .2 since im no expert.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9233367#post9233367 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wooglin

Allot of fish (butterflies, etc) mate for life... when one dies the other tends to waste away.... if that isnt "feeling" and "family bonds" what is?

It is instinct. From a purely biological standpoint only a few species of Animals on the planet possess the ability to think about the past, present, and the future. In other words most animals only live at the moment. There is no thinking about how things suck, where should I got tommorow, I wish I had a better job, boy my coloration sucks, I wish this dude would put me back in the ocean, etc.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9234297#post9234297 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wooglin
It is instinct. From a purely biological standpoint only a few species of Animals on the planet possess the ability to think about the past, present, and the future. In other words most animals only live at the moment. There is no thinking about how things suck, where should I got tommorow, I wish I had a better job, boy my coloration sucks, I wish this dude would put me back in the ocean, etc.

you obviously havnt seen finding nemo. well atleast my niece thinks its real lol.

Back