Checkout my new MONSTER

I've had few problems with my skimmer overflowing lately, but I've managed to just catch it in time. To prevent this from happening again, I decided to feed the skimmer with a pump, instead of the drain from my display upstairs, which was the culprit. I also added a Reef Fanatic level controller to keep my skimmer from emptying my sump, which is what happened to Steve Weast's tank.
The level controller works by using a magnetic switch to tell the controller when to turn on/off the supplied outlet. It came with two switches, but I only needed one for my application.

Here's some pictures.

level-controller.jpg

level-switch.jpg

I just cleaned the cup.
skimmer-foam.jpg

Hey Chris,

Did your drain feed have a "bypass" on it?

That would probably help eliminate any overflowing issues.

I have two drains in my tank, and one of them was used to feed the skimmer, while the other is used only as a backup, in case the one feeding the skimmer became obstructed. For some reason, the drain feeding the skimmer, would cause the water level in the skimmer neck to vary up to 8" over a 24 hour period. It was at a constant siphon, so I'm not sure why the problem occurred. Feeding the skimmer with a pump has cured the problem, and I ended up using the main drain from the display to feed my fuge, which will be used for nutrient export.

I had to have a bypass line on mine, without it the flow would rise and fall.
A tall bypass will put a little pressure on the skimmer input and help get as much water in there as possible, consistantly.

If I would make any adjustments to the return pump I would have to shut the recirc pumps off on the skimmer
and make very fine air adjustments on the display drain. It was a little tricky at first but I was able to set the waterline inside the skimmer to maintain within 1/8".

If you can get it to stay consistant I think its worth it to get all the D.O. straight into the skimmer.
Unfortunatly for me, I wont be doing it this way now...

Skim-Feed.jpg

Thanks Victor.

Chris, or any of you guys interested in gravity feeding...

If I were to do this again I would put a 45 in the 2" drain line at the floor joists. Then another 45 where the line would meet the sump to flatten it back out. Then a tee fitting for a bypass. You can see in my bypass line I reduced it from 2" to 1.5". that was to help creat more pressure into the skimmer. I would do the same thing and reduce the bypass line but there would be room to make the bypasss line about 4' tall with the drain line now lower. After the tee a TUBV of course.

I like to direct feed external skimmers from the overflow but one thing I personally feel, about all of them have too small of an input fitting for gravitiy feeding. For example, my Deltec called for 800gph throughput but had a 1" input. Its hard to gravity feed 800gph through 1" pipe.

Heres another picture to help give a visual of what im talking about.
(I hate posting a non GEO skimmer in a a GEO thread, but keep in mind, its sitting in a geo sump surrounded by more of his equipment.) :lol:

Sump-Room-1.jpg

I had similar issues as what cward described w/ rise and falling levels in my skimmer w/ a direct feed. If I understand Treg's description, I did something similar...brought my 2" drain line down to a Y that is higher than the skimmer. The main leg off of the Y gets reduced down to 3/4"-1" and feeds the skimmer. The secondary leg off of the Y leads to an offset 360 made of 45s (sort of like a ram's horn) that allows for relief of any excess flow that backs up...this dumps to the sump. I find that the skimmer production of crap is much higher with the direct feed vs the pump.

I find that the skimmer production of crap is much higher with the direct feed vs the pump.

This was my experience too.

When I first got the 902 I didnt have the basement sump yet, So I fed it with a mag 9. When I put the basement sump online with the skimmer gravity fed, it was a pretty significant increase.

I like this bypass, gravity detour idea Treg, thanks for sharing.

I don't have a big problem with the water level in the skimmer, probably because the feed line is 1.5 all the way into the skimmer and there is a bypass that feeds my frag tank already

I could put some more pressure into that line by just raising the bypass line up a bit in the middle. Maybe get the water level in the skimmer to be rock solid.

I used to feed my skimmer directly from my display drain on my last system, but that was a 2" drain reduced to a 1" line feeding my skimmer. The Oceanic tank has a small drains, so I must have not been getting enough back pressure. It's easy enough for me to switch it around the plumbing to experiment........well, except for draining the 30+ gallons of water from the skimmer:lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14529726#post14529726 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cward
well, except for draining the 30+ gallons of water from the skimmer:lol:

Show off!

"Old" stock needlewheel from Reeflo (small pins towards the outside): 60 SCFH @ 170w

ReefSpeciality needle 140 SCFH @175w

I thought I had one of the "new" needlewheels from Reeflo handy (same black design as the old but with full size needles all around), but I have two of the old. I've heard it has about a 20% bump over the "old".

I need to take it back apart and loosen the needle slightly becuase my watts didn't drop going to the ReefSpecialty (and they should have given more air).

I have to build a new stand too... Even I can't even see the top of the cup anymore...

Joe and I just tested the air flow on my Geo and it settled down at about 138 SCFH. Didn't measure the watts.

I was going through camera pictures and realized I never adding some running shots.

03.07.2009-1.jpg

03.07.2009-2.jpg

Super fine bubbles.
03.07.2009-3.jpg

03.07.2009-4.jpg

And.....

Noms noms.... After 4-5 days running.

03.25.2009-1.jpg

03.25.2009-2.jpg

Back