Chemipure Elite = ???

bbestvin

Hi All,
Been doing a lot of research on various forms of chemical filtration over the last few days. I have a 13.5 gallon saltwater aquarium and am looking to add some filtration to my media rack. I would like to do weekly water changes, but I simply don't have the time, so currently I am able to perform them bi-weekly. Algae isn't too bad, but I'd like to reduce it a bit if possible. I also know phosphates are creeping up. I don't have a Hanna Tester, but my API kit says I'm hovering around 2.0ppm. That's too high.

I recently bought a small bag of Chemipure Elite, but after doing some research, I've realized something I already knew. Chemipure is a convenient, more expensive version of carbon and GFO. That being said, I'm wondering what you would recommend as replacements, please keep in mind I am not using a reactor. I have a decent amount of flow through my media basket, but will not achieve the "tumbling" effect.

So...am wondering what you use instead of Chemipure, or what you would use if you were on a budget? If possible, I would like substitutes that are swapped out every 2-3 months rather than every 2-3 weeks.

Chemipure Elite = Seachem Matrix Carbon + Seachem Phosguard?
Chemipure Elite = BRS ROX + Phosbond?

I'm certain that Matrix Carbon is a good substitute for the carbon side of CPE, but I'm not sure about the silicate/phosphate removal piece.

Just get a little mesh bag and add some GFO and carbon to it.
Most gfo's are the same and come from the same place.
Lots of people like the Rowa brand of GFO.

One thing I like also is polyfilters.

By polyfilters you mean filter pads or filter floss? I do have that in the top shelf of the media basket. I've heard that GFO is not effective if it does not tumble and have a LOT of flow through it to prevent it from clumping. Truth to that?

By polyfilters you mean filter pads or filter floss? I do have that in the top shelf of the media basket. I've heard that GFO is not effective if it does not tumble and have a LOT of flow through it to prevent it from clumping. Truth to that?

Polyfilters are pads but they are not mechanical filtration they are chemical filtration. There more of a substitute for carbon. I cut them to size and use them in my media rack..

https://www.poly-bio-marine.com/

Back