Chiller controlled by Apex?

ScubaNemo

Do you guys control your chillers through Apex temp probe or do you bypass the Apex and let the chiller operate on its own?

I'm controlling my chiller through Apex and noticed some difference in the operation recently where the chiller doesn't turn off after cooling down the tank. Realized that the Apex temp probe was a degree and a half off then normal, so I calibrated it.

I'm nervous about the probe going out of wack at some point. How do you guys do it in your set up?

It might depend on the chiller, but I wouldn't just cut power to a refrigeration system without giving it a chance to power down correctly.

I would let the chiller control it's own temperature management, with maybe an Apex cut out as a safety measure a degree cooler than the chiller is supposed to cut out.

I have been running an Artica 1/10hp for several years. Controlled by a Apex outlet. This prevented the heater and chiller from doing battle. I run a Sicce pump separately for it, because the restriction going through it is pretty big, and the flow required too much off the manifold for the minimum 240 g/h. Without flow, you can't use the internal thermostat. To make sure water doesn't stagnate inside the chiller, the Sicce pump runs a few minutes every morning.

I don't remember which outlet but on the eb8 certain outlet is designed for chiller/heater make sure u use it. However I use a ranco controller and it never fail for many year. It build for industrial cooling and heating.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Assuming both thermometers are calibrated, I would set the chillers thermometer a degree cooler than you want your tank, then use your Apex as the primary controller. If for some reason the Apex fails to turn off the chiller the chillers thermometer would then kick in to turn it off. After the initial calibration I have never had an apex thermometer drift on me.

I run the chiller the same way I run the heater, using the apex as the primary control and setting the device thermostat a degree outside the apex's control range. This way you get the full benefit of the apex by being able to finely control your allowable temperature range and on/off set points, run times, etc. the thermostats of the chiller are usually less precise and you can't program the differential (at least on mine) so you end up with much less control of the actual temperature of your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good info. Are there certain chillers that are better to use with the apex? Is there a brand that deals better with being turned on and off? Would obviously need on that retains
Its set point

My JBJ 1/10hp Artica goes on and off about 4x/day in the summer. No issues with using the Apex to control using the temp probe in the sump.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back