chocolate chip star fish in my nano

Loon

Is it ok to have a chcolate chip star fish in my 29 gallon reef tank?
I have a frogspawn, xenia, a large leather coral, and mushrooms.

chocolate chip

chocolate chip

The CC will go straight to work on LPS....I can say this because I've seen it in person. CC stars are not reef friendly in any size tank. T

The only thing a CC starfish is good for, is to serve as food for Harlequin shrimp...They will destroy your corals.

agreed T Man!!! CC's are for FOWLR's at the most.
theyre cool to look at, but not something you want in any reef!!

in a 29G it would be the ruler of that size nano/tank...

hey lemec! i wonder if they would be good with cocktail sause?

not makin a joke of you, Loon, but you never know until you ask. :rolleyes:
thats why there is Reef central, knowledge from others who have learned by experience, and those who have seen and can help answer your "?s" so you may have a productive and happy reef....

brittle stars are cleaners and considered reef safe. they stir sand and keep your eco-system alive and healthy.
i would add some nassarius, and astrea snails also to help in your clean-up crew.

cc def eat corals even in a big tank! i have a brittle in my tank they are def beneficial. but i thought linckia and some sea stars were reef compatible? i would research more i look a lot at liveaquaria they have good info on them and what you will need for your tank.:idea:

Ya there are several stars that are reef safe, the problem is getting them enough food so they don't die. Brittle stars are good because the are fast at getting the left over food, but the lankia(I don't recommend, they are next to impossible to keep in a nano), the red sea star, marbled and sand stars are usually reef safe (doesn't mean you won't get one that goes after small polyps (ie, green star polyps), but they don't chase after the food as quickly and tend to be prone to diseases.

I've had my Fromia for over a year in my 24. Hes one of my fav inverts because he's very active and moves rather quickly! Just make sure you have lots of LR. Oh, and he's very reef safe. I keep all kinds of corals on the sand and rocks and he doesn't eat them. I do see him lounging around on some acans or zoas once in a while but it doesn't seem to bother them since they look normal after he slides off.

As a general rule, any star with what appears to be "webbed" legs are NOT reef safe. Serpants, Brittles and Lynkia are fine... the legs clearly join the body without webbing.

Choc Chips are definitely NOT reef safe.

Back