choosing a skimmer

trd47

been doing a lot of research on here for a while and a question. I do use the search button but at times its down, especially right now as I type my thread.

Anyway heres my question.

1. If an in-sump skimmer is rated up to 80 gallons, does this 80 gallons include the sump or not? For example I pick up a 80 gallon tank and I buy a 20 gallon sump will the skimmer be underskimming?

I think a lot of people buy skimmers that are rated for twice the size of their tank. But if your skimmer is rated for 80 gallons, that is the total volume of your system...tank, sumps, refugium, etc.

Going with a slightly larger skimmer than what it is rated for is best. Many hobbyists stock heavily and/or many manufacturers over rate the ability of their skimmers.

If your total water volume is 100g, I would try and find a skimmer rated for 125-150 gallons or higher.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10421155#post10421155 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mr_o98
Welcome, any other questions do not hesitate to ask.

I almost had to ask where Pen Argyl is located. I thought I knew every town in Pa until I saw that one, so I googled it. I was quite embarrassed to see it was close to my hometown of Wilkes Barre.

Trd47,
I highly recommend the Octopus line of skimmers. I have the NW150 which would probably suffice (got mine for $125) but for your tank I'd probably go with the NW200.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10423347#post10423347 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EdKruzel
I almost had to ask where Pen Argyl is located. I thought I knew every town in Pa until I saw that one, so I googled it. I was quite embarrassed to see it was close to my hometown of Wilkes Barre.

Trd47,
I highly recommend the Octopus line of skimmers. I have the NW150 which would probably suffice (got mine for $125) but for your tank I'd probably go with the NW200.

EdKruze, just did some research on google and I think the nw150 would suffice its rated for 180 gallons or are they over rating it?

I don't see why the 150 model wouldn't work but many and most people will buy a skimmer rated for 2-5x their tank volume. Either model would work in your case unless you plan on going with a large bio-load and a loaded SPS tank. In a case such as that, the 200 model would be the way to go. :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10423347#post10423347 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EdKruzel

Trd47,

EdKruze, just did some research on google and I think the nw150 would suffice its rated for 180 gallons or are they over rating it?

When I spoke to the people at Marine Solutions, they said realistically at a moderate bioload, the rating is about 125-150 gallons.

For a reef tank I think you'd be ok, but with a FO you'd need the NW200. Most probably would agree with that statement because you need better quality water for corals, but let me explain.

Once an average reef matures, you have so many more organisms absorbing nutrients from the water like sponge, bryozons, polyechetes, the amount of rock and even corals as opposed to most FO with less or sometimes no rock and a heavy bioload of usually messy eaters.

You know what you'd like to keep and how you wish to run your system, so with our advice, I think you shouldn't have any problems deciding.

Good Luck

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10424787#post10424787 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EdKruzel
When I spoke to the people at Marine Solutions, they said realistically at a moderate bioload, the rating is about 125-150 gallons.

For a reef tank I think you'd be ok, but with a FO you'd need the NW200. Most probably would agree with that statement because you need better quality water for corals, but let me explain.

Once an average reef matures, you have so many more organisms absorbing nutrients from the water like sponge, bryozons, polyechetes, the amount of rock and even corals as opposed to most FO with less or sometimes no rock and a heavy bioload of usually messy eaters.

You know what you'd like to keep and how you wish to run your system, so with our advice, I think you shouldn't have any problems deciding.

Good Luck

wow I knew that the reef would be contributing to the bioload but I didn't know it was that much. I forgot to factor in the little creatures lol. Octopus nw 200 or higher it is.

One down on my list now for light but thats for another thread lol!

Thank you so much everyone!

EDIT: what makes a skimmer able to skim at a higher tank volume? Better pump?

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10425933#post10425933 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by trd47
what makes a skimmer able to skim at a higher tank volume? Better pump?

Chamber size and its contact time between bubbles and water.

Back