choosing an anemone

brad

20+ years reefkeeping, never owned a carpet anemone, but had 2 mags - the most recent died about a year ago in one of the worst disasters my tank has seen, but was healthy at least 5 years prior. I have a BTA but no other anemones now, 270 gallon, mostly SPS tank.

I am tempted to try either a gig or a Merten's if I can find one. I really don't want a fish eater, so I am avoiding Haddon's. Lots of RC threads talk about gigs eating fish, but so do a lot of threads on mags, and I'd be comfortable with another mag. Any idea how big the risk of a gig is compared to Haddon's and a mag?

I know mag's don't ship well, but they are very rarely available from other aquarists (how I got my last 2). Is it worth trying one from LA without a dedicated cipro tank with appropriate lighting and flow? Or is this a project best put off until I can have that ready?

I can vouch for the rose bubble tip. I settled it in a corner of the tank, next to a cave midway up the rockwork, the cave being the option for protected nook at night and a foothold. It never faltered: settled where I put it and had the sense to draw back from the ricordea nearest, and reposition where both are comfy. Comes out full bloom every morning, goes back into its cave at night, and this within 2 days of tank. The clowns ignore it of course (sarcasm font) but as far as well-behaved nems, this one is at the top of my list.

I've kept haddoni, mertens and just recently finally got lucky with a Gigantae. I'm a hobbyist so these are my limited experience(s).

Haddoni and Mertens seemed pretty similar in regards to health, they don't seem to suffer from the crud(bacterial infection) as much as Ritteri or Gigantae.

Look I've read people who swear they've lost multiple fish to carpets and honestly it's possible. Over ten years of mostly haddoni, Ritteri experience I probably suspect my nems in only a handful of disappearances. Some fish roam at night(jawfish) and are more apt to get caught.

The Gigs I've seen via live aquaria are pretty rough, I wouldn't go down that road. I know of a local shop that has had quite a bit of success with Gigantae, pm me for details I don't want to violate any rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had my Haddoni for a few months now and love it. I have kept LTA and Bubbles and now have to say my Haddoni is my favorite. It did eat a goby much to my sons dismay. The look on his face was priceless when he had to tell me. I will suggest no bottom dwelling fish though...Anyhow here is recent pic with 3 saddleback's.
c57de48f9cc9471692ccc93d6cecbd42.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Back