Christmas tree worm rock

TheTank

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone has a Christmas tree worm rock In their tank and how easy is it to care for? Type of light? Compatibility; is it stackable or leave it on its own in the tank? Are these rocks sold live with the worms in the holes already or does one embed them onto it?
Would anyone recommend adding this while making my initial coral additions or wait for coral to establish then do the add-on?

Thanks in advance - sorry for the noob Q's

There is an article in Reef Builders about Christmas tree worm rocks but I'm unable to link the article per forum rules.
In a nutshell, this is what it says in regards to care:

"They prefer to be in the shade and out of bright lights, and remember both Feather dusters and Christmas tree worms are filter feeders which means they have to be feed regularly. We recommend a mix of liquid plankton and something a little meatier like live rotifers."

I've had one in my tank for a couple of years, but I think I just got lucky. It is under t5 lighting towards the top. It came with the worms, and the rock was originally covered with porites coral. The porites is gone, but the worms still seem happy. It is a softies tank with mostly leathers and anemones, and currently only one yellow tang. I feed a variety of food from phytoplex and microvert to mysis shrimp. I'm not sure what the secret is, but I'm happy mine is still around because I don't do anything special for it. It is considered an expert coral, although I am no expert. My tank is very well established though, probably 7 years or older. If you're new to the hobby, I wouldn't start with this coral.

I have two of them, about 2 years old. They are porites coral, so care is like most medium light SPS. Worms need periodic feedings like any filter feeder and the absence of any fish that will bother/nip at the crowns. Mine are in my frag tank which provides refuge from said nippers.

Worms settle on the coral which then grows around them. I've had new worms get embedded, though more the standard tube worms than the colorful ones.

Back