CIMA website

Curt2199

I know there once was one. Im not sure who actually owns the CIMA.org domain these days but I'd be fine with hosting and managing a site for the CIMA group on my VPS if others were interested in using the site. I'm a webmaster/developer at UIUC as well as a freelance drupal developer in the Champaign-Urbana area.

Pretty sure Henry owns/owned it, but he's probably too busy diving to care. The current URL leads me to scary places. admin at saltyendeavors.com might get you somewhere.

let us know how it goes and be sure to let him know how snowy it is :)

I know there once was one. Im not sure who actually owns the CIMA.org domain these days but I'd be fine with hosting and managing a site for the CIMA group on my VPS if others were interested in using the site. I'm a webmaster/developer at UIUC as well as a freelance drupal developer in the Champaign-Urbana area.

right on. Among many other hats - I do a lot of web and database application development for one of the ADM plants here in Decatur.

We have had a couple of sites over the years- but people would just use this one anyway, so the faded away. Henry does own the rights I believe, and you should discuss it with him. He may not care at this point as paul said. However I would strongly advise against setting up anything or using the CIMA name in support or sponsorship of anything with out his expressed consent.

So I really don't care if you use the CIMA name or not. I don't think I have any "rights" to the name other than starting the club way back when, so you don't even need my permission to the best of my knowledge. The domain linked above by epon hasn't been renewed in years and I certainly do not have intentions on doing so in the future. It'd be as simple as someone buying the domain and doing the design. With that said, as Scott noted even when CIMA had a functioning website the traffic generated was here on RC. If it is your desire to have an active website, perhaps consult with the Bloomington/Normal club, who IIRC does not have a presence here at RC. What you need moreso is someone to step up and take charge. Creating web content is worthless without someone taking charge and organizing meetings, creating DIY projects/workshops, and taking road trips. With that said, hopefully it's spring for you in the near future. I've just started the design of my 3 feet deep x 30 feet long x 12 feet wide lagoonal open-system reef in the front yard. Pics sometime in the future perhaps.

P.S. If you do a website and care for it, I should have CIMA pics from the decade past as an "archive" or sorts... if you care.

P.S.S. Do you have an aquarium yet, Lloyd?

I'd like to specifically request the unearthing of the 'chase lounge portrait' as the background to a new site banner .. in honor of our founder livin' the dream. From a meeting in Peoria, Theisen's residence maybe?

It was indeed Dan's house. My hard drive is on a slow boat from America. It is quite likely, should it survive the journey, to have said photo on it. I'll be sure to delete it.

I remember Rob freaking out when a member dropped a duece and clogged his toilet at the first ever CIMA meeting. Free rum -n- pineapple for whoever can first correctly tell me who was responsible.

Ahhh, the memories.

I know that most communication happens on here and most likely will continue as everyone knows this place and the wealth of knowledge is great. I was thinking a group site would help more along the lines of the local community for gathering people in the Bloomington-Decatur-Champaign-Urbana area. I like RC but there are some things that I'd like to have like a chatbox or shoutbox for one, a better listing of local or illinois events, carpool planning capabilities, reviews and experiences (LFS, Products, Services - I understand the risks and limitations required here), more expansive image/video gallery per user, rss feeds, different types of facebook integration, local DIYs by local people willing to help, etc. There's a lot of things that I can build given that the interest is there.

Also, I'm not sure what the original url is/was?

As for my experience to prove that I'm not a newb with a keyboard...

Graduated from Purdue University with a Bachelor's in Computer Network Engineering and then became the Webmaster at Millikin University, Decatur, IL for 5 years where I built and managed the website on SharePoint 2007 (C# .Net Developer). (http://www.millikin.edu)

I currently work for CITES (Campus Information Technologies and Educational Services - http://cites.illinois.edu) at UIUC as their Webmaster (PHP/Drupal Developer).

I've built the following recently:

Champaign County Arts Council (http://www.40north.org/ - local artists create profiles, upload images, and maintain contact information).

Champaign County Convention and Visitor's Bureau (http://visitchampaigncounty.org/)

And about 15 other sites across U of I and other local companies/organizations.

Last edited:
Nice looking pages curt. I'm good with the functionality part - not as good with the graphic design part. I can somewhat do it - but it takes me a long time and I usually have to utilize or at least get inspired by other people's designs.

I like a lot of your ideas.

Yeah I'm not a designer. I can do a decent amount with Photoshop and Illustrator but professionally, I leave it to the professionals. lol. I work with a design firm in Champaign as a freelancer as well as another designer at Millikin for other projects.

It used to be www.cimaonline.us

The website had all that you mentioned, and still never was used. Each member had their own photo gallery with unlimted storage. I bet 12 photos got uploaded. Facebook didn't exist back then, but there is a CIMA Facebook page now. We listed all local stores, but offering ideas, opinions, etc., on stores is a slippery slope. The best thing I ever did when I ran CIMA was keeping the club dead neutral on the stores. There was a CIMA chatroom that gathered at least 3 users in total. Carpooling and any other meeting details were worked out here. I spent a lot of time on the website - essentially for nothing.

I should note at one time CIMA was nearly 200 members and getting 50-75 per meeting was not uncommon.

Oh, and as a former UIUC employee I can confidently say the CITES organization, or lack thereof, was mind-boggling. Their website is/was undoubtedly the most confusing and ill-designed website I've ever had the displeasure of using. Of course this was a number of years ago so hopefully you had nothing to do with that :)

I'm not sure how many years it's been since the previous site was used but I can tell you that working in the field, the use of the internet for communication in general has increased substantially. I can't say it'd be the same if there were a site but I wouldn't be bothered if my time invested were lost. Most of the things that I'd like in a site don't take nearly the time to implement that they used to and a good part of maintenance can be automated.

I'd mainly like to gauge the interest as well as get others involved for ideas of what they'd like to see in a site for the group to see if there would be enough interest to create it.

As for CITES, my boss will readily admit it's state as of years past as he's been here for 12 years working his way up. According to him, it has grown a lot and become a much stronger organization. While I don't have a lot of experience working at a lot of other companies, I can definitely say this one is the most organized and efficient organization that I've worked with in it's current state. And the website is light years ahead of where it used to be, but honestly what website isn't that still exists? I guess Craigslist might prove me wrong but I do believe their progress or lack thereof is intentional. lol

Curtis

It used to be www.cimaonline.us

The website had all that you mentioned, and still never was used. Each member had their own photo gallery with unlimted storage. I bet 12 photos got uploaded. Facebook didn't exist back then, but there is a CIMA Facebook page now. We listed all local stores, but offering ideas, opinions, etc., on stores is a slippery slope. The best thing I ever did when I ran CIMA was keeping the club dead neutral on the stores. There was a CIMA chatroom that gathered at least 3 users in total. Carpooling and any other meeting details were worked out here. I spent a lot of time on the website - essentially for nothing.

I should note at one time CIMA was nearly 200 members and getting 50-75 per meeting was not uncommon.

Oh, and as a former UIUC employee I can confidently say the CITES organization, or lack thereof, was mind-boggling. Their website is/was undoubtedly the most confusing and ill-designed website I've ever had the displeasure of using. Of course this was a number of years ago so hopefully you had nothing to do with that :)

As for the original domain... it looks as though the .us, .com, .org, and .net are all bought and being sat on so even if a site were built, it'd need a new address.

Yeah, like I said, maybe chat with BNARC about how they do things. Taking it off RC seemed to work out well for them.

Clicked on the CITES link. Looks WAYYY different from when I was using it.

Sent their webmaster some questions. I hope we can get some useful input in return and they don't see this group as overarching competition in any way.

And yeah, I've only seen screenshots of the old renditions of the site but in no way, shape, or form would I have have wanted to claim ownership to such an atrocity. lol

Feel free to use my photos in the content if you see something you like. I can also go out and shoot someones tank for you if you're looking for something specific. SimonSKL has the nicest mixed reef tank I've seen around and has some great pics too, maybe he has some shots he'd offer for content....

Glad to see the interest and talent willing to develop the club again. It has always (as far as Ive known it) been Henry taking the lead and making these things happen or they simply didn't. I've said it in the past and I'll say it again: thank you and I wouldn't have gotten very far in this wonderful insanity without the local club

Back