the acroaddict

In Memoriam
Hello all
I have a 5x2x2 tank
I think its roughly a 150 g

Tired of waiting to setup i have no stand
Or patience

Can i use cinder blocks?

Take the time and build yourself a stand....Once you set it up and running will be a BIG pain to move it to a stand later....I built mine in 2 weekends...I do wish I did somethings different...lol...Always that way...

IMAG0187_zpsfaa2aead.jpg

I would think it would be very hard to get blocks level. I built a stand in a couple hours. It doesnt have to be pretty just strong. Look at the premade stands some of them are made out of particle board yet they hold up massive weight. Get some 4x4s for the corners and some 2x4s for the cross pieces and slap them together. I would think this would be much better then blocks. also latter you can skin the stand with paneling and trim it with wood trim. looks great and is cheap. I have built 5 stands this same way.

In future i want metal
For now trying to spend $0 on stand
I have many blocks

Check Craigslist...I see postings for scrap wood ALL the time.

A lot of times it is framing 2x4s when people take down an interior wall. Those 2x4s would be even better than new ones because they would have dried well beyond what those at the store.

The Home depot or lowes will have all sorts of thin panels of various options to "skin" the frame and make it more attractive.

I would think it would be very hard to get blocks level. I built a stand in a couple hours. It doesnt have to be pretty just strong. Look at the premade stands some of them are made out of particle board yet they hold up massive weight. Get some 4x4s for the corners and some 2x4s for the cross pieces and slap them together. I would think this would be much better then blocks. also latter you can skin the stand with paneling and trim it with wood trim. looks great and is cheap. I have built 5 stands this same way.

I've made stands with 2x4s all the way around based primarily on people on the DIY pages complaining about 4x4s warping and bowing worse than laminated or bolted 2x4s. Good to see you're not having problems with the 4x4s. And yo the OP, save yourself the hassle and make a stand, you'll thank yourself later.

the 4x4s are just in the 4 corners. no where else. I have heard about the 4x4 prob to. I will admit I used PT but I dont think its needed. when you have that much weight on the wood where is it going to go?

Back