Clam help

jd371

I will be picking up a Maxima Clam from the lfs on Friday. I know what to do with fish and coral before they go into the tank, but what are the steps you take with a clam?

I will be picking up a Maxima Clam from the lfs on Friday. I know what to do with fish and coral before they go into the tank, but what are the steps you take with a clam?

I acclimated mine like you do everything else, temperature than a drip.
Keep it underwater.
Don't be alarmed if it squirts water at you.

Make sure you look for a growing edge. A healthy clam will have that white leading edge to the shell indicting growth and health. I never buy a clam that doesn't.

Make sure you look for a growing edge. A healthy clam will have that white leading edge to the shell indicting growth and health. I never buy a clam that doesn't.
That's the first thing I looked for. I waved my hand in front of the light to get a reaction from the clam and was able to see the white leading edge when it retracted it's mantle.

I also used a soft toothbrush to lightly clean the shell (not the foot!) to dislog any snails, aiptasia, etc.). I quarantined for a few days of oservation for pyramid snails. I had it under VHOs for QT, which I figured was Ok, but not suitable for too long. I kept it there for 10 days and spent a lot of tiem with a magnifying glass looking for pyramids.

The clams have been at the lfs for a couple of months now so I'm hoping they would have shown signs of Pyramids. I did notice some Aptasia though. I was planning on giving it a scrub before it goes into the tank.

Back