Clam Issue. Help!

MyOwnGrowOp

Zoa Addict
i have a crocea clam that has been in my 120 for about 3 years now and has about trippled in size and has been doing great. today for no apparent reason, when i got home from work, he was gaping and spitting white stuff into the tank... i have watched a few videos of clams spawning and it looks just like that, but its gaping big time and the ones in the videos i watched are not.... is he dying? all perams are good and the fish are the same fish that have been with him for years. HELP

moliken

my first thought was spawning. gaping does not involve just the siphon. " shell fully open, mantle poorly extended, and inhalant siphon widely stretched. The mantle will begin to pull inwards, shriveling and tearing between the siphons. A healthy clam's inhalant siphon can open wide sometimes, but gaping leaves a very wide opening."
btw, spitting is coming from which opening? other inhabitants. if it is spawning, u need to do water changing

MyOwnGrowOp

Zoa Addict
the "spitting" is coming from siphon (small hole)... the siphon looks normal or a little on the open side. and the big hole is gapping huge.. yes the mantel is pulling inwards, and it spits white into the water about every minute