Clam placement -- rock or sand?

Dag

Premium Member
Most people seem to place their clams in the sand, rather than the rockwork. Why is that? What are the downsides, if any, to placing the clam high in the tank on the rocks (either directly on the rockwork or on a small flat rock to which it can anchor)?

I just got a maxima recently. placed it on a flat rock I made myself when introduced to my tank and the same night I noticed it already anchored itself on it. I put the whole flat rock right on the sand bed and so far its doing fine, well , at least its still alive :D

I dont know what's the "solid" advantage if u place it on rock or on sand, I guess every clam is different so I cannot speak for it all.

I put my clams on the sandbed because there's more room there. I figure as the clams grow, they'll take up space right? Might as well give it to them. Nothing special to it.

Placing it in the sand increases the likelihood of it being attacked by predators, of which, many more live in the sand as opposed to the rock.

The downside of rock is they're permanently attached for all intent and purposes.

i thought it depended on the species. i have read that maximas prefer rock, and croceas like sand (not sure about the others) my maximas weren't happy in the sand. i burried rocks in the sand with just a little sticking out, and they grabbed a hold right away. my crocea doesn't like rocks though. he's only happy in the sand. seems that clams are almost as picky as women......well, i doubt that's possible :lol:

Ummm.. just the opposite. Croceas go on rock. They actually bore deep into the rock over time. Maximas can go either, but prefer rock IME.

NIXONNOXIN said:
Ummm.. just the opposite. Croceas go on rock. They actually bore deep into the rock over time. Maximas can go either, but prefer rock IME.
ummm....i must have a female crocea then, because it's doing the opposite of what it's supposed to just to pi$s me off!!! :lol: j/k mine wasn't happy on rocks. maybe i got a defective one. the guy told me it was used, but i thought it would be okay......:lol:

as long as they attach to a flat rock, you can place them in the rockwork and move later. It sounds like noone thinks rockwork is a bad idea.

IME, my 2 croceas attached readily on the rockworks once placed there. I have a maxima who always end up on the sand every morning. I placed it on different places on the rocks but it doesn't seem to like it there. Now it's on the sand and seems to be doing fine.

My crocea jumped from it's first location three times. It's finally happy up on the rock. Didn't like the sand. Have a squamosa that preferrs sand.

In nature the croceas live on limestone that they often bury into. Maximas tend to rubble piles, so I guess they just latch on wherever it suits them. Derasa/squamosa tend to more sandy substrates.

Of course, with all this said...they'll do what they'll want to do and who'll argue with clam happiness :D

"Derasa/squamosa tend to more sandy substrates."

Saw many clams in Fiji in October. None in the sand. Specially the maximas, squamosas and croceras.

Some were pretty dug down in the reefs with corals pressed up against them. You did not notice the clam until you were right up on it. All that showed in some cases was the mantle.

Just like the guy in this photo.

On one dive a couple people asked if I got the photos of the blue maximas. I swam right over them and missed them. Would not have done that if it was in the open.

DogDoc - - I will have to say that I did not see any Durasa, nor did I do lagoon diving. I have always read they are more common in the sand.

One funny thing - I was a bunch of scallops on the beach where the waves have washed them up. They were scooting themselves around like crazy. Never would have thought they could move so fast.

I like my clam on the sand, because it's more colorful to look at from that angle. On the rockwork I would be looking at it almost straight on. Clams are more colorful to look at from above than straight on.

If you put them on the sand then do you burry them a little bit...my maxima always falls down when i put him on the sand. Should i put some support for him?
ALso for maxima, how much flow do they like?

My maxima like on the rock. It attched itself within two days. In case you want to place it on the sand please put something underneath to support the weight and let it attach.

I do not know if target feed is necessary , I tried to inject some of kent's phytoplankton several inches away (DT is expensive where I live and not readily available) it choked several times, hence I never directly feed it again. I just doze the food in the water and shut the skimmer off for an hr and it works for me .

Good day

drmooncricket said:
if you put a clam in the rock work how do you target feed it?
i don't, i just dose DT's in the tank. i have a 1.5" maxima that everyone says is too small to live by light and to pull food from the water column. mine is thriving without target feeding. the bigger maxima and crocea are thriving as well.

Back