Clean Buckets vs Dirty Buckets

krzyphsygy

I have a 5 gallon bucket I use for water changes on my QT tanks. I want to use this bucket for acclimation of some inverts for my display, but I am worried that the bucket might contain ich even though I do not have any signs of ich in my QT tanks...kinda stupid huh.

I rinsed out the bucket very well a week ago, dried it well with a paper towel, today I filled it with scolding hold water and let it sit or an hour then dried it again with a papaer towel.

Question is should I use the bucket to acclimate?

I wouldn't use it. A new bucket will probably only cost you about $5 at any hardware store. It's not worth the risk at that price.

Just spray it down with some water then let it sit air-dry in the heat outside for a day. You can let it air-dry for 2 days if you are really paranoid.

I'm not 100% sure so I'd see what others have to say, but I don't think the parasite or any other form of ich can survive much time at all without water. I'd use the bucket and wouldn't think twice about it. And I'm a pretty conservative reefer, I quarantine every thing new that is headed for my tank.

I think your over thinking this. how long has it been since you used that the bucket for a water change?

Finally, someone else who isn't on the "bleach it, boil it, vinegar it, toss it train!" :bounce1:

I agree, a rinse with tapwater is all I would do, and that's only if the bucket were dirty.

A saltwater parasite needs saltwater to survive....so a tapwater rinse, and subsequent drying of the bucket will ensure it's good to go.

I'm not 100% sure so I'd see what others have to say, but I don't think the parasite or any other form of ich can survive much time at all without water. I'd use the bucket and wouldn't think twice about it. And I'm a pretty conservative reefer, I quarantine every thing new that is headed for my tank.

That's exactly what I was thinking!

I wouldn't use it. A new bucket will probably only cost you about $5 at any hardware store. It's not worth the risk at that price.

a new bucket for this, a QT for that, etc...no wonder this hobby is expensive. Just rinse it. This reminds me of a thread in which a person recommended WC bucket be rinse with Ro/DI water..lol

If ich can survive without WATER for a whole week, then we might as well all just quit using QT tanks because there's no hope.

Think about it... hypo-salinity kills ich...yes? I suspect removing the salt entirely...as well as the water, would be fairly effective at killing anything.

Just use the bucket. You had it dry for a week. I wouldn't even re-rinse it at this point. I rinse mine after water changes to get the sand and algae gunk out of the bottom and then I put them in the basement until next week.

As long as it sat dry for a few days, i say use it. Unless its had copper or other meds in it. If this is the case, i would use it for qt only.

I agree with the last few posts. It is safe to use the bucket. The ich cannot survive in freshwater or no water at all.

Question is should I use the bucket to acclimate?
I would use it for water changes, quarantining, I would breed fish in it, make soup in it, drink from it and wash my face in it. Ich is not nuclear fallout, it is a little paracite that swims and needs water, even fresh water will kill it. If you dried out the bucket there is no need to use a blow torch, napalm or grenades. Just use the bucket.

I would use it for water changes, quarantining, I would breed fish in it, make soup in it, drink from it and wash my face in it. Ich is not nuclear fallout, it is a little paracite that swims and needs water, even fresh water will kill it. If you dried out the bucket there is no need to use a blow torch, napalm or grenades. Just use the bucket.

The voice of reason...

Gonna have to agree with the "just use the bucket" crowd.

Even discounting the rinsing. And the drying out. If the Super-Ich in the bucket has survived all of that, then it has already defeated the QT system to begin with in order to get a chance to survive all of that. :eek2:

I'd still pony up the $5 and get a new bucket. One for QT purposes only, and the other for whatever. If the OP does ever get ich, you know that dirty bucket will come into question. Buying a new bucket eliminates that possibility.

I'd still pony up the $5 and get a new bucket. One for QT purposes only, and the other for whatever. If the OP does ever get ich, you know that dirty bucket will come into question. Buying a new bucket eliminates that possibility.

I'm with you....better safe than sorry. Lost a tank to an ich outbreak and it totaly sucks. Plus it is alot of hard work to get under control and even then it might not be under control so your work could be in vain.

So many variables....

Back