Cleaner Shrimp Mysterious DEATH NEED HELP

bsagecko

ok my cleaner shrimp just died on me now idea why?

i just got him saturday.........i acclimated for 2 hours and i just tested all water params everything perfect on tuesday meaning yesterday and he was alive then.............

was i suppose to be target feeding him or what?

could it have been a disease?

nothing in my tank could have touched him it is a 90g tank with only toadstool leather zoas hermits snails and one single 2" maybe clown fish.........so what is the deal?

plz help me............

ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 0
cal 540-600
alkanity 10-11
ph 8.2-8.3 ish
temp 78-80 ish
phos .25 max

so what is the deal...........should i try another one or just give up on shrimp

they molt....what i pulled out of the tank looks exactly like the shrimp with full body everything..........i dripp acclimated for 2 hours how else do you acclimate?

I think seapug is onto something....Are you sure it wasn't just his shedded body from molting? I have several shrimp and when they molt, sometimes it comes off as one big piece and looks like the entire shrimp.

Shrimp and Lobsters loose the whole outer Capres about every 6 weeks just like a snake sheds there skin, then they hide for a few days untill the new Caprese hardens.

this doesnt look like snake skin i have seen snakes molt....but he may still be the thing i pulled out has eyes and what looks to be internal organs not just an empty chitin shell....maybe wrong on internal stuff but eyes and all the lil whiskers and legs are there......maybe i am wrong..........could it be anything else?

When they molt, the white whiskers shed and so do the legs. If it is the shrimp then it could have been anything. I had one go completely reatarded on my about a month ago. He was running into rocks and flipping upside down on the sand until he finally died 2 days later. It's hard to tell how they die if nothing else is dying.

Whats you're salinity at?
i bought like three in a row that died with all my levels good and i my salinity was at .21 i had later read somwere that they have a hard time under .24

1.026-1.025 i do belive but there was 2 gallons of water evp so it might have changed it but.............i use a refractometer not a hydrometer

i do not use ro/di water but i do have a puri filter thingy i use right now because i am only 17 and $135 for an ro/di unit is a bit much for my mom to swallow but i do runn carbon all the time (actuall needs to be replaced) all the corals are fine except the few zoas i have which look a lil down but i would think the sea whip and feather dusters would die before the shrimp.............it is possible but i dont see how.....if it is copper there is no way to get it out besides carbon is there? also i dont have a test to check and it is $1 at my lfs to check maybe i will take a sample up there and see.........is there anything i can use to strip the copper out if there is some in there.......................all the other metals i dont know and i hope not.......................i might start using ro/di water from my lfs it is just alot at $0.25 a gallon but i dont want to kill the reef or my animals after all the work.................

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12239652#post12239652 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bsagecko
i do not use ro/di water but i do have a puri filter thingy i use right now because i am only 17 and $135 for an ro/di unit is a bit much for my mom to swallow but i do runn carbon all the time (actuall needs to be replaced) all the corals are fine except the few zoas i have which look a lil down but i would think the sea whip and feather dusters would die before the shrimp.............it is possible but i dont see how.....if it is copper there is no way to get it out besides carbon is there? also i dont have a test to check and it is $1 at my lfs to check maybe i will take a sample up there and see.........is there anything i can use to strip the copper out if there is some in there.......................all the other metals i dont know and i hope not.......................i might start using ro/di water from my lfs it is just alot at $0.25 a gallon but i dont want to kill the reef or my animals after all the work.................
Your mom may go for an RO/DI once she learns she can have almost unlimited clean drinking/cooking water.

In any case, I've killed inverts before with tap water. Yes, tap water.

Buy a poly filter pad. It turns a bluish colour when it absorbs copper.

You can also buy a copper test kit and test your tap water. Doing a copper test on your tank may not yield any results as copper does not stay long dissolved in water.

Last edited:
Don't buy cleaner shrimp while they are holding the eggs between their legs. If the shrimp is "pregnant", single stress will kill them that including high percentage water change, moving etc. That is just what I experienced. They may live for a while but they die.

It's also quite possible that it went through some stresses or bad acclimation someplace along the journey from collector to your purchase.

Also, another thing to note, when things die, it isn't always the owners fault.

Humans and other mammals, even birds and reptiles, can drop dead of some medical/biological reason. So too can't crustaceans?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12240780#post12240780 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Megalodon
Also, another thing to note, when things die, it isn't always the owners fault.

Humans and other mammals, even birds and reptiles, can drop dead of some medical/biological reason. So too can't crustaceans?

Very true, but if there is an issue that can be found fixing it might prevent further deaths.

Back