cleaner shrimp

Saltwat3rAddict

i just bought a cleaner shrimp. how long of acclimation and is it true these are very interesting creatures?? i named him pierre : )

I have had good success with acclimating for about an hour. Contributing factors in how long you want to drip for are PH, temp, salinity, etc. of the water the animal is in and what yours is. Usually 45 minutes-an hour has been good for me.

And yes they are interesting animals.

HTH

Good luck with pierre!!

cleaner shrimp are excellent. Mine was jaque and pepe. they would clean my hand any time i had to go into the tank. didn't survive a move though /sigh

After your drip is done, are you just transfering via net or cup to negate adding the transport water?

I remove water during the acclimation so that in the end the only water left in the bucket or bag is my tank water. Then I can simply pour everything into the tank.

And yes, I love my cleaners although they used to be a lot more active...now during the day they can be found hiding under the same boring rock.

sometimes your fish will cooperate and let him clean them; no guarantees though. Still they are cool litle guys!

When I acclimated my cleaner shrimp I floated the bag for about 20 mins. Then I dripped it for 30 or so and dumped half of that water and went another 30. Did the same with my starfish and peppermint shrimp and all have survived so far. I hear you need to drip them slowly, so they get used to the salinity without a quick jolt.

On a side note: I recently watched a documentary "IMAX coral reef adventure", and one of the divers got close to some cleaner shrimp, took out the breathing regulator and, opened her mouth and sat very still and a couple of the shrimp went up and cleaned the inside of her mouth. I thought that was pretty cool.
If any of you haven't seen that it was a great show. Much better than the Discovery channel one.

When I acclimated my cleaner shrimp I floated the bag for about 20 mins. Then I dripped it for 30 or so and dumped half of that water and went another 30. Did the same with my starfish and peppermint shrimp and all have survived so far. I hear you need to drip them slowly, so they get used to the salinity without a quick jolt.

On a side note: I recently watched a documentary "IMAX coral reef adventure", and one of the divers got close to some cleaner shrimp, took out the breathing regulator and, opened her mouth and sat very still and a couple of the shrimp went up and cleaned the inside of her mouth. I thought that was pretty cool.
If any of you haven't seen that it was a great show. Much better than the Discovery channel one.

Wow, hope she didn't get hungry! :lol:

Back