Cleaning 120 Acrylic tank with Muriatic Acid

Thekingy

I am cleaning a 120 acrylic tank with Muriatic Acid. The sump is approximately 40 Gallons and the system is filled and running. How much Acid should be used to clean the tank, it has mild/heavy spots of coralline algae. Once the tank runs for a few days with the acid and is cleaned up, I will be sanding and buffing out the scratches. Any recommendations on the amount of acid/tank gallons would be appreciated. Thanks
e17a77c7474c9803401397ae86f62fdd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always used straight muriatic acid outdoors. The fumes are painful. A little goes a very long way. Much easier that way - you can do the whole tank in under an hour.

Are you planning on running a mix of water and acid in the tank? That will probably work. I'd use very little acid - you can always add more. If you have a pH probe, I'd keep the pH around 6, and add more when it rises.

Thanks for the response. I use about 1/4 of a gallon Muriatic Acid after I filled the tank with water. The system has been running for a little over 24hrs now and the tank pretty much cleaned itself. I will be draining it in a day or two then give it a good rinse before I start sanding/buffing. I would definitely use this method again. You can see the difference between the 2 pictures.
f25581d5292e3e58b2b791065cd4b941.jpg

Have you considered using CLR Calcium Lime Rust Remover and cycle the system with it?

Back