Cleaning Bubble Algae Infested Rock

adova

Premium Member
I have to take down a 180g tank for some repair. The tank is infested with bubble algae, however the rock is mature (5 years).

I am sure I know the answer, but is a re-cure / acid bath the only sure fire way to make sure the bubble algae is gone or would a good brush scrubbing be sufficient? Just hating to start from scratch again :(.

Before you destroy everything try Vibrant by underwater creations for a month and vacuum out the bubbles with water changes.

Infested? Might be worth going the safe route and restarting with all new rock. The reason is you can spend hours and hours cleaning the current rock, just to end up in the same place in a few months or a year.

If you do end up cleaning the existing rock, Vibrant as mentioned above may help if you start early. Vibrant can have some negative effects on some coral in some systems. Just be mindful of that.

I second the Vibrant suggestion! I had a horrible bubble algae infestation. Vibrant killed it off within a couple weeks. It hasn't helped my green turf yet but continuing my treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I would try that if I was not going to be taking the rock out of the tank anyways. It looks like it is a several week process and I need to get the tank broken down and re-assembled within a week or two - and there is just no way I could bear to put the rock back into the tank.

However, I will definitely remember to keep this in mind if I ever re-infect myself.

A 180 gallon tank is plenty big enough for a Fox face. If you really don’t want to recure everything you can clean off the rock as best you can and let the fox face eat what pops back up.

Vibrant doesn’t always work. I tried it for a few weeks, all it did was starve and kill off my chaeto and fade colors in some sps, the bubble algae was completely unaffected and continued to grow. I got a foxface after clearing out everything I could get to and he has been taking care of the rest

Mix up a batch of water and do a bin with 50% SW and 50% hydrogen peroxide. Grab a nice stiff bush and while brush off as much as you can then soak in the tub. The peroxide will break down remaining algae without detriment to your bacteria.

Since already breaking down tank this is perfect opportunity to do the dips and transfer as needed.

Excellent info. I did not realize Fox Face were bubble algae destroyers. I will look to them as well for my next adventure. The 50 / 50 mix sounds like a good approach this time around.

Back