Cleaning coralline algae off a plastic overflow?

SouthBayPhoto

New member
Hey again! :)

Any suggestions on cleaning dried coralline algae off of the plastic overflow box in a tank?

I picked up my used tank system yesterday and there is still some coralline algae on the overflow box. I'm wondering if I should try and clean it all off or will that be okay to leave it and setup/start the tank to cycle anyway?

If it is suggested to try and clean it (and the rest of the tank), what is the best way to do that? The tank is a 135g and, as I found out yesterday, the thing is HEAAAAVY as heck! So, I can't just take the tank outside and hose it down.

What's the best way to clean the tank itself while still on the stand and get the old coralline off the plastic overflow box without harming anything?

Thanks again!
 

Member No. 1

Ver. 2.1.1
Premium Member
Get some citric acid from Amazon, mix it 1cup/gal of water, and spray it on.
Or soak a rag in it and drape it over the algae.

But just leaving it there is fine. It won't hurt anything.
 

SouthBayPhoto

New member
Pete - Again, much appreciated.

If I used the citric acid, do I need to try and get that out of the tank before I fill it and cycle it? Or will the cycling take that stuff out?

Can I use that to also wipe down the inside glass and the bottom of the tank to clean everything up prior to starting the tank?
 

Vinny Kreyling

Premium Member
You can use it to wipe down the inside.
ON glass & plastic I use vinegar & a good rinse.
Vinegar however can ruin submersible pumps by attacking the resin that makes them waterproof so citric acid is better used on any pump.
 

SouthBayPhoto

New member
This is probably a dumb question, but after you use the vinegar/water solution to clean the inside of the tank and then if you "rinse off" the walls/glass...how do you get that water back out of the tank? LOL

Since my tank is huge, I can't move it. So, I'd have to have some way of getting the vinegar water out of my tank after cleaning it. Suggestions?

Do you just use a sponge and try and suck it all up after rinsing it down or ?
 

Member No. 1

Ver. 2.1.1
Premium Member
Some use a wet/dry vac.

Paper towels, microfiber clothes, old bath towels. Anything that can absorb water.

What little is left won't hurt anything.
 
Top