Cleaning equipment

jigsaw1982

I just bought a cutting board and chopping knife to dedicate to the purpose of cutting up shrimp into small pieces for fish food. I want to clean these items after every use without using something harmful that may make its way back into the tank (possibly through cross-contamination) like dishwashing soap. What would be a fish safe cleaning agent to clean this cutting board and knife?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you're over-thinking things. Cleaning your knife with whatever soap or cleaner, then a good rinse, and you should be fine.

Kevin

I think you're over-thinking things. Cleaning your knife with whatever soap or cleaner, then a good rinse, and you should be fine.

Kevin

Well, we all know how sensitive reef tanks can be to chemical changes, so I try not to introduce anything into the tank that isn't naturally in the ocean.

If you want to avoid cleaning agents and soaps etc. then you could try my way of slicing & dicing.
I take a throw away plastic cup & put some tank water in it then add whatever im going to cut up like raw seafood, shrimp, or fish etc then i have a pair of scissors that i use only for this purpose and i just snip away until the pcs. are the desired size & constancy if i snip long enough. I then use a pc of storm door screen as a filter and pour the cups contents onto it allowing the contaminated water to run off then i re-add more saltwater to it so i can use my feeding bulb. Afterwards i just rinse the scissors with tap water till squeaky & wipe dry and toss the cup when im done either feeding or freezing the excess. Works great, no smelly board to cleanup and less work too.

If you want to avoid cleaning agents and soaps etc. then you could try my way of slicing & dicing.
I take a throw away plastic cup & put some tank water in it then add whatever im going to cut up like raw seafood, shrimp, or fish etc then i have a pair of scissors that i use only for this purpose and i just snip away until the pcs. are the desired size & constancy if i snip long enough. I then use a pc of storm door screen as a filter and pour the cups contents onto it allowing the contaminated water to run off then i re-add more saltwater to it so i can use my feeding bulb. Afterwards i just rinse the scissors with tap water till squeaky & wipe dry and toss the cup when im done either feeding or freezing the excess. Works great, no smelly board to cleanup and less work too.

Thanks for the idea

In other situations one cleaner that won't harm your tank is white vinegar. There are situations where you may actually dose vinegar into the tank, (nothing you need worry about at this stage) but it is certain that an accidental drop or two of white vinegar is not going to harm anything marine. I submerge tired pumps in it and run them to clean off the white gunk that accumulates, and never worry about some accidentally staying in the pump.

Back