Cleaning Live (once upon a time) Rock

nmorse72

Ok here's the deal. I just bought some salt water stuff and it came with dead rock one time it was alive. There really cool looking rock and I want to clean them up and put them in a tank.

My question is how should I do that. There is a problem at one time the old owner used some ICK medication that turned the rock a greenish color.

Is there a way to make them white again or should I not worry about it becouse corline alge will cover at some point?

Anyways thanks for any help you can give me.

You could boil them, powerwash them, hit it with the house. Dont use any soaps just use water.

I have never heard of ich meds turning rock green, any idea what the name was?

If your sure it was reef safe,Im not sure if there is a way to make them white again, but I dont think I would worry about it. Coraline will cover them soon enough.

i bought a piece of live rock that was kinda green and it had never had any treatments. it was just something nature did to it. got any pictures of the rocks? ill tell you if its the same way mine was. i havent had any problem with mine.

Well I was digging in what the guy gave me and i want to say it was malican(something) green but for reef tank before I threw away the bottles I did check to see if it was ok to use in reef tanks so I don't think any medication resudue will be a problem.

As for pics I really need to get a camera but thank you demonboy279 for the offer.

I think after I was them down I'll put the rocks in a 10gallon tank I have set it up with saltwater and let them sit in there till all the readings are 0. This way if there's anything dead on them I won't foul up my tank with it.

sounds like a good idea to me. wipe of anything first then sit them in there with a powerhead and test.

I'm SURE this is not something you should do, but before I knew about live rock or anything else and was a complete idiot...we had dead coral pieces that we bought from a LFS for our first tank. When it got real dirty or covered in algae, we would wash it and let it sit in some chlorine and water (not much chlorine). THEN we would wash it off and let is sit in NEW water that had tons of dechlorinator in it for day. It was the prettiest whitest coral then. I never killed anything but this was 8 years ago when I did not know about live rock, live sand and better ways to keep the stuff off the tank (like clean-up critters etc).

Just like when Tom (Tom and Jerry) flew until he was reminded that cats don't fly and so he fell to the ground, this worked for me until I learned why I shouldn't do such things.

You could bleach it. Which i did with the help of some on this forum and it worked out great.

White rock

Soak it in a bucket with a little bleach and water, rinse it real good and dry in sun.

same before I knew about live rock I had tons of dead and fake corals when they get nasty I would put them in the sink fill it most the way with water and add ALOT of bleach like 1/2 gallon and let sit for hour then rinse rinse rinse and soak man they would get soooo white :)

Back