Cleaning live rock

MARINECRITTERS

Hi, what is the best way to clean out live rock from my older setup ( it is dry now ), should i just rinse in rodi water or something else.

I would like to start cycling my new setup as soon as possible.

An acid bath is sometimes recommended with a solution of vinegar and ro/di water. You can also use muriatic acid and water, but at a much lower concentration.

10% muriatic acid is most effective. Then carefully drain and power wash the rocks. You may still have leftover bits stuck to it, so it's ideal to cycle the rocks in a tub outside the DT, at least IMO.

It depends on what you want to accomplish / what problem(s) you are concerned with.

Bleach is good if you want to kill everything and dissolve any organics on the rock.

Acid bath is for situations where the rock has phosphate bound to it's surface and leaching out into the water. Acid bath will dissolve that outer surface and the phosphte with it.

If you don't have phosphate problems or nusiance creatures/growth then you might just want to rinse the rock in some clean saltwater to clean off any detritis.

Back