cleaning refugium filter sock

Corriebh

I heard that I can just throw my filter sock in the laundry with some bleach and then allow it dry for three days to clean it. Any one clean their filter sock this way. Any other suggetions?

I turn mine inside out, rinse them out well in the laundry tub first - get as much gunk off of them as possible. Then run them on the Whites cycle with bleach - no soap, no softener. After that cycle is done, I run them through a cold water cycle - no soap, no softener, no bleach - as an extra rinse.

They then air dry for several days. I also throw my half dozen "aquarium only" towels in there at the same time.

I turn mine inside out, rinse them out well in the laundry tub first - get as much gunk off of them as possible. Then run them on the Whites cycle with bleach - no soap, no softener. After that cycle is done, I run them through a cold water cycle - no soap, no softener, no bleach - as an extra rinse.

They then air dry for several days. I also throw my half dozen "aquarium only" towels in there at the same time.

How much bleach do you use?

How much bleach do you use?

I keep a bucket of "Clorox water" (~2c in ~3gal water, with a lid just sitting on the bucket for odor lessening) that rinsed-off dirty socks go in to until I have a pile of them accumulated. Then they all go in a normal wash cycle to knock the crud out of them. Keeps me from going through a ton of bleach. And they get a longer exposure to it too.

Coincidentally had a load of filter socks and towels that need to be washed, so I just measured the bleach when adding it. My machine is a high efficiency top loading washer - I fill it up to the MAX line in the bleach dispenser - which I now know is 3/4 of a cup.

I do the exact same thing.

I keep a bucket of "Clorox water" (~2c in ~3gal water, with a lid just sitting on the bucket for odor lessening) that rinsed-off dirty socks go in to until I have a pile of them accumulated. Then they all go in a normal wash cycle to knock the crud out of them. Keeps me from going through a ton of bleach. And they get a longer exposure to it too.

Good idea. So you leave them in the bucket of mild bleach water for a couple weeks?

I'm gonna steal this idea.

Good idea. So you leave them in the bucket of mild bleach water for a couple weeks?

I'm gonna steal this idea.

I do that too. If not, you're either washing them every few days, or the sit in a bucket and stink up the basement. I have about 12 sets, so I only wash them every few weeks. The bleach water bucket keeps things from smelling.

Back